Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Nandopsis Salvini are spawning

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 31, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not too unusual, 1st time for this pair, but as luck would have it they decided to "do it" right in the front of the tank on a huge peice of driftwood. It's looking like 500 eggs. The 4 oscars are huddled i the far corner of the aquarium, being punished on a regular basis by hte much smaller parental fish. Ain't nature great?

2. Congratulations! I think

3. +1 ?

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Can they be deep fried?
    :ninja:

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

here ya go

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That's the stuff with no seeds, right?

7. I used to breed quite a few cichlid species, but for some reason I had one pair of Jack Dempseys that were almost too prolific. Once they started, it seemed like there was never a time without their favorite rock being egg covered. They kept it up for years. I was up to 42 tanks (mostly 55 longs) before college took me away from my amateur ichthyology.

Congratulations, I hope your first brood does well, and may there be many more. :)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    thanks
    this brood is the latest of 12 years of breeding cichlids so i know what you mean. In the case of a super prolific pair it's often best to imitate nature (i.e., feed the fry to your other fish), rather than try to raise and sell thousands of them. :p

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My dad used to be a crazed fish guy. He is kind of obsessive, so a co-worker suggested fish to help him relax. In stead it just gave him something new to be obsessive with.

He had several tanks, in different rooms, divided up by where the fish were from. Then he started raising cichlisoma managuensas(sp?) Those are some impressive fish. His favorite tank, in his room, had a 9" long placostimus(sp again?) an oscar as big as my hand and the oldest/largest managuensa, about 7". Feeding times were darned impressive in that tank.

10. Managuensas are awesome. They are a very pissed off fish. Out of all the cichlids I've had, my Manageunsa and Red Devil were the most aggressive.