Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my neck broke off

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by warwickben, Feb 16, 2005.

1. i know this probly isnt the best place to ask this. i have wat i belive to be a 1950's kay cello yestrday when i was bringing it from a freinds house the neck poped of. it looks as all that has happen was that,the glue came undone. i was woundering how much it would cost to fix.
    also i rember seeing a post about putting a upright bass neck on a cello and playing it like a upright bass. is this hard to do

2. No problem.....just make the neck block in the cello bigger. Then make the base of the neck smaller (to fit) and glue, and screw.

3. thanks. have u ever heard about putting a urb neck on a cello . irember reading a post about it but i cant find it.

4. That's what i'm talkin' about. You gotta make the base of the bass neck smaller to get it in the cello.

I'm just jivin' with you. I've never heard of putting a bass neck on a cello.
    Did you play the cello with cello tuning or did you tune it ala Oscar Pettiford like a bass an octave lower?
    Do you think this is one of those Kay Jazz celli that Ray Brown came out with many years ago? They are a blond color with tuning machines rather than pegs.

5. o my bad. would i need a different siz bass bar(is that right term). i know it would have to be moved. any thing else i would need. i figure a new bridge and a tail peace(sorry about spelling).
    any more info will help.

this mite be realy dumb but how can i screw the neck in with out the screws showing

6. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    There's this.....

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Well if it was me I would just get some hide glue and glue the neck on.
    Now, if bolting is what you have your heart set on, or you are just curious, here are some sites that might help.

1. The Musical Instrument Makers Forum , to get at the info that you need you will have to join [it is free] so you can have access to the Library; there is [somewhere] a photo essay on how to do a bolt on neck on a archtop guitar.

2. Joseph Curtin's evia has a bolt-on neck done in the same way, scroll down to see picture.

3. here are what the bolts look like.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Wow, that guy has to be at least 9' tall!!!!!

9. Note that this is no ordinary doublebass neck attached to the cello. It appears to be about 9-10 inches longer than a normal db neck. If it were not that way, the bridge would have to be placed down where the tailpiece is located for there to be any hope of it playing like a real db. Setting the soundpost would be a real trick, not to mention the bridge would have to sit on the END of the bassbar.

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
  11. Kevinlee
    is that a pic of you. if so how did u do it.

the reason i thought about putting a db neck on it was simple. ive been wanting to play play upright for so long. ive allready made a good working eurb. i got the cello cause it was a great deal.i just couldnt figure out the tuneing. i rember when i was looking for info about db i found a post about putting a bass neck on a cello. i figure doing this would work out good for me. iam a small guy , iam not gonna be playing it in any bands or any thing so it doesnt need the perfect sound.
    i figure since the neck is off i could just put a db neck on it.

i

12. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    No, that's not me. But I'll check into how he did it.

Kevinlee

13. Note how the bridge feet cleverly span the ff holes.
    Where do you put the bass bar and sound post on this one?

IMO, a bass neck and bass string tension on a cello sounds like a recipe for a badly broken cello body.

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I got out Strobe's "Useful Measurements for Violin Makers" and did the math. If you put a 3/4 DB neck on a cello body and leave the bridge in the normal place the scale length will be around 836 mm to 840 mm [32.914" to 33.078"] which is almost the same string length as a Rickenbacker BG.

As for a bridge, wouldn't 1/4 size bridge work better?
    Also couldn't he just get 1/4 size or even 1/10 size strings?

15. Sell the cello, put the money towards a real bass.
    Why waste time and effort mutating a cello into something that's unplayable and unsellable?

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    What he said, only with a photo of a rooster

[​IMG]