1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My neck is loose ... any advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by echo008, Dec 8, 2006.

1. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Guys,
    I was hoping to get some advice here ...
    The neck on my bass is still moving a little bit when I tug on it even after making sure all 4 bolts are tight...
    Does anyone know whats going on with it, I really want to fix this I love the bass.
    The neck pocket is not the tightest I have seen, there is a little bit of room on the left side of the pocket, not quite enough for a business card.

Is this something a SHIM would fix!
    any advice would be helpful... BTW I am taking the bass to my Tech tomorrow but I was hoping for some input from people "in the know".
    Thanks!
    - Tom

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    If it's moving from side to side, a very very thin shim will put it right, otherwise tightening up the connection between the neck retaining screws and neck itself will fix it. (plugging and redrilling the holes etc.)
    Should really be an easy fix, good luck.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's true. Sometimes the holes for the neck screws in the body become enlarged and the screws can shift there a bit. That was the case with an old Fender guitar with this problem. I redrilled the body holes a bit larger and cut 4 pices of 3/16" brass tubing (from a toilet tank repair kit) that fit snugly in the body holes. The inside diameter of the tubing gave me a snug fit on the neck screws. I combined that with a thin wood veneer shim on the side of the neck pocket. It never moved again.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I agree - I fitted a MIM Jazz neck to an SX P body not long ago - the neck was loose in the pocket, and the bolt holes didn't line up... I filled the existing holes with golf tees and wood glue(had to drill 'em out for a tight fit), cut and dremeled them down smooth, then fit the neck into the pocket - in my case, it took .045" of shim on one side, and .020 on the other to snug and center the neck to the body... Then, I padded both sides with a piece of lexan, clamped it down, and drilled the new holes... I had to put a little wax on the bolts so they'd thread in without seizing up, but now they crank down good and solid.. The end result is a P/J frankenbass that looks good and plays great - and I've got less than $100 into it...

The golf tees were an idea from a finish carpenter friend of mine - he uses 'em to repair stripped door hinge screw holes - you'll probably have to drill out the existing holes for the tees to fit, but *should* get a really tight fit in there - combined with some quality wood glue, it'll make things solid as new wood...

I'm no expert, but I asked around a bit, and tackled the job no problem myself - and from your description, just shimming probably won't get it done - even necks with a loose fit in the pocket don't usually move if the neck bolts will tighten down properly... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

5. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the responses guys, good advice all the way around... I took it my "Tech" and he pretty much said a thin shim would take care of the problem so I had the bass setup and restrung all nice and fresh ... Im happy with the outcome I would have been upset at having to ditch this bass... she is Sweet.
    - Tom