1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my neck is now the shape of an S...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Aug 5, 2012.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

Sep 24, 2010
    i've been trying for the past 3 days to do a setup and the A and D strings just won't stop buzzing.. no matter how high i raised the saddles

just when i was thinking this is really getting on my nervs i look down on the edge of the neck and realize it sort of resembles an S.. like this... :

lol.

and if i get rid of that little relief there is by tightening it just makes the neck more concave and then there is buzzing all over the fretboard.. but if i put more relief in the neck, all the more it resembles an S..

truss rod works perfectly but no matter what adjustment i make it keeps buzzing..

any ideas as to what might fix the neck??

the strings in question are a pair of dean markleys sr2000

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    strings are irrelevant; what kind of bass is it?

also, which way is the curve in your picture? fretboard to the right (upbow near headstock, backbow near bridge) or the other way around?

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sounds like a bad neck.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well...

a slight upcurve from the nut to like the 12th fret with a dropoff at the last 4 or 5 frets can be a good thing.

the other way around (backbow on the low frets, ski ramp at the body end) is a disaster, though.