My neck & strings..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Microbass, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Hey all.. I just had a thought, could it be my bass's neck that is causing my strings to snap?

And yes, I broke ANOTHER E ! (being my 6th!)

I am playing a lot more now, and I can't afford to dish out 20 bucks every 2-3 weeks!

I am sure teh saddle on my bridge has no sharp edges, but again, i'll have a look.

Anyway, the neck. I don't tend to play with a big bow, but with a little.

Oh yes, while on the subject, can someone explain to me how the neck's bow effects playability etc?

cheers! :)
  2. Which end is the string breaking? How hard do you play? Have you thought about trying a softer touch?

3. Merly, I play what you could call medium, with a hard pick, and I've played like this. With the original strings, they lasted forever, but they felt/sounded crap.

The strings always go dead, not snap, but unwind on the saddle-edge.
  4. Maybe try a different set of strings. A thicker gauge perhaps. With a small file, filedown the saddle a little just in case there is a slight burr.

Whats your action like? If its a little too high perhaps thats putting unwanted tension on the strings.

5. OK, I play with my saddle purty low, and with my neck setup the strings sit about.. 1/4-1/2 of a CM from the frets. They are easy to fret.

Dang, i think I might have to take you up, but I even snapped a few E's that were .105 gauge. I prefere the soft - 40 (or 45) to 100...

*sigh* i'll just keep trying.

Anyone wanna buy me that G3 on ebay? :p
  6. Erm i'm running out of things here..... Hambone! :p

Try a different brand of strings, fairly thick etc. When u play turn your amp up louder than you normally would have it. Say if u run it on a quarter... turn it up to half. Then try to play assoft as possible to achieve your old volume level. Try playing without a pick and see if they still snap.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    They may sound silly, but are you SURE your tuning to the right pitch of e? I know i know, but we are running out of options here.
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    How close to the bridge are you picking?
  9. Well. Ive been thinking about tthe pitch, but my tuner says Im tuning it to "bass 4rth"..

The closest to the bridge I go is about 1/2 an inch from the saddle.

I'm going for a new set of stirngs, eventually. and I'll try a thicker gauge.