1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"My Neighbors the Yamadas"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, Sep 26, 2008.

1. My wife and I got this from the video store this week and watched it last night, and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's out of Studio Ghibli (the folks who did "Totoro' and "Spirited Away".

It's was dubbed for English and kind of Americanized but in a comfortable way. Jim Belushi does the voice of the Dad, and the background music gives an almost Charles Schulz-kind of feel to it. Anyway, highly recommended for a family movie.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Is it a miyazaki film? That's king of anime right there.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    One of the news anchors on our local FOX affiliate is named Lara Yamada.

-Mike

4. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    psh Masamune Shirow is the king of anime, Ghost in the shell, Appleseed, and Tank Police, FTW.

Yamadas has been on my to see list. I guess I'll Pick it up today on the way home from work.

5. Not an anime film per se, I don't think. More like a comic strip style - think of hand drawings moving very very quickly. Isao Takahata is the name of the director.

My favorite scene is Takashi (the Dad) calling from the train station to ask someone to bring his umbrella and him having to listen over the phone to the whole rest of the family arguing over who's gonna go down there. He hangs up the phone in disgust, goes to buy an umbrella, and walks out of the station to find the whole family waiting there to meet him.

I have so been there and done that.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Shirow is great, but he's not near the level of Miyazaki.