Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Nephew Was Born Today, And He's Huge!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My sister had my first nephew Gabriel this morning. Weight? 11 lbs. 10oz. Now that is one BIG baby. The crazy thing is my sister was born at 5lbs 14oz, so he's almost double what her weight was.

What's the biggest baby you've ever heard of? I know Kevin Sorbo (Hercules) had a 12lb 4oz one.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    congrads...

11... thats not bad... i talked to friend yesterday... her friend had twins... 14lb each :D OUCH... i am male and i feel the pain :D

Cheers

3. Wow.

Does weight of baby at birth matter to how much the child will weigh later in life?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not necessarily, but it can be a sign they are suseptible to getting diabetes.

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I was 24" long at birth. And now I'm 6'6". Not sure how much I weighed so I can't really comment on that, I weigh about 14 stone now though.

6. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    I was born 4 lbs 6 oz! I was a teeny beaner. That might affect how tall he is. I'm not sure though. My friend was born around 10-11 lbs and is the tallest kid I know of who's that age.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Biggest one I ever saw was that world's fattest baby on the cover of "The News." When I say "the news" of course I'm referring to the Weekly World News. :D

brad cook

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was a big baby, ~10.5 lbs But I'm pretty thin now.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh man, I saw a great WWN at the supermarket recently, I wish I could find it somewhere on the net, but the headline was "PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS CANCELLED!" :D

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Wow uncle Bryan, that's awesome. Gabriel is a really cool name. 11lbs.10oz.!?!?!? :eek: That is one big baby. I hope your sister is ok.

Congrats! :)

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I was 10 pounds, 6 ounces, and I thought I was huge! I don't think the weight of the baby predicts how big they will be when they are older, because I'm almost 15, and I'm pretty thin. That kinda scares me though, that I could get diabetes because of my weight at birth. I should cut back on the junk food I guess. :meh: Oh yeah, and congratulations on becoming an Uncle!

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Birth weight is no real predictor. I was 2 lbs 14 oz. They told my mom not to get attached to me because I wouldn't survive a week.

I think she got over it. I never got around to dying.

I was about 12 1/2 " tall/long and now I'm 5' 11" and 310 lbs. For our metric-speaking TBers I think that's around 180 cm and 140 kg. When the subject of preemies comes up (often, since I work at a childrens hospital now) I always tell people that I was a preemie and that's why I'm so small now.

13. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I think so too :smug:
    Congrats homefries, take care of that kid.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Some lady around here had a 14 pounder.

15. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :eek: Man she probably ate at roadhouse Grill frequently. Sorry man, again, keep a choke collar on that guy!

16. I was about 12 pounds when i was born. My mum was in labour for 30+ hours apparently!!

Oh yeah! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

17. Yeah, well I heard that Old MacDonald had a farm. :p

Congratulations on the birth of your nephew. :D

18. Hey bard2dbone my son was a preemie also he was born at 2lb 5oz and was 14" long. They also said that he probley wasnt going to make it. but 8 years later he is still proveing the DR.'s wrong..

19. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I was 11lbs. 8oz. and now, 19 years later am right around 125lbs., so no, I don't think weight relates to your size when you get older. :D

Congrats on the new nephew, a bartender at my job became an uncle last also

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Not at all. Your better off looking at the parents and guessing.