Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Nephew's New Strad

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mje, May 7, 2004.

1. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    We just traded my10 year old nephew's 1/4 size Chinese laminated bass (nice one, too) for a half-size *carved* instrument at Wilson Fine Violins. (Rob made a new soundpost while we waited- he's a heck of a guy). He'll be playing my bass soon.

Anyway, the bass is an interesting one; age, unknown. Make, according to the label is German. Most curiouis to me was the label which announces that the bass is a copy of an Antonio Stradavarius, Faceabat 17-whatever. Now I've seen a lot of labels like that on fiddles- when I ran a music store in the late 70s one came in at least once a week- but I've never seen it on a bass. Not that I've seen that many basses. Did Stradavarii make basses? If so- have any survived?

2. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I don't believe Stradivari ever did make a bass or at least there is no mention of it in a book written by the Hills about his life and work and this book is said to be pretty comprehensive.

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Here's a pic of the new (old) 1/2 sized bass:

4. The Strad labels are pretty common on basses too. I'm surprised you didn't run into a few when you ran the music store in the 70's. These were and probably still are very common on less than name brand instruments imported from Europe. Some of these outfits used the very same label for everything - violins, violas, cellos, basses, and even guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if one showed up on bagpipes. And No - leading experts say no Stradivarius basses (and no Amati either) were ever made.

5. Quote:
    "I wouldn't be surprised if one showed up on bagpipes."

His accordions are getting rare and pricey these days... :p

R2

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The way to tell if it's a real Strad is that the fakes don't have the pickups or the red metalflake.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Looks like a Juzek to me. Kid looks like he'll be playing an Italian one day.

8. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    He's as devoted to that bass as he is to soccer. Musical, too; he taught himself piano from my sister's old books, just for fun.

I'm teaching him a little pop and jazz. He really likes "Moondance" so I taught him that and the other day he decided he wants to learn the Temptations' "My Girl". I taught him the bass line and taught my sister a guitar part.

Oh, and he teaches me arco technique ;-)