My new 10-string!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I recall there being some sort of thread about exotic instruments a while back. A cardboard box was waiting for me at local post office today, and here's what it contained:

It's a 10-string kantele, from the smaller end of kantele family. It's a relative of harp and zither, being played single notes and chords on open strings. It's hard to say from the pic but it's actually pretty large instrument, around 30" in length.

The large concert kanteles have 39 strings and are tuned over four octaves, so this one's bit more simple, being tuned only bit over one octave :)

Now, if you'll excuse me gentlemen, I need to go learn some folk songs :D
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i love traditional instruments!
  3. blah.. my ocarina kicks more butt :p
  4. that thing is cool!!

so, where do you hook on the strap? where's the volume knob? can you slap it?

is there a website where i can hear someone playing a kantele?
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For Mr. Bliplizkit, couple of pics. First, a 10-string modern design kantele played by some kid. Here's where the strap goes:

And then there's the 39-string electric concert kantele, with volume knobs in it.. Well you actually can't see the knobs but I'm sure they are there!

Haven't been able to find out if slapping is possible yet ;):p

For some listening, I found the site of certain American small kantele builder at - he has a dozen of .ram-streamed songs under the link "What does a kantele sound like?"
  6. thanks Tsal!

i'll listen as soon as i get to a terminal with sound.

7. Being a 10-stringed instrument, are there only 10 notes? How is it tuned?
  8. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I can't help but think jt is behind this thing. Think he was a kantele player in another life???:D
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Uh oh, someones been playing too much Zelda...:D

That thing looks aswome! it must have set you back a pretty penny..what is it tuned to?
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's currently tuned to Dmaj, or from low to high A B C# D E F G a b d. The usual tuning is somewhere between Cmaj(or min) to Emaj depending on instruments size, strings etc.

You are right about only ten notes, but the main role of small kanteles has been to accompany singing in the old times, and nowadays there are 15-, 29-, 38- and 39-string kanteles around for solo use, many of which are equipped with downtuners on some of the strings. But hey, it's not the size that counts, but how you use it :D

$150 is pretty much the standard price for 10-strings, the construction is quite simple so it keeps the prices down. Too bad I don't have digicam right now, perhaps I could loan my drummers one to take better pics.
  11. You just wait.. John Turner will come in here with:

"ten strings?? PPHHFFTTT" and we'll get more pictures of his children.. i mean basses... :p