My new 1956 Precision!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bikeplate, Jul 18, 2004.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Got myself an original, untouched '56 P! It's awesome. The man in the pic with me bought it brand new in '57. After I bought it, I realized he was the bass player at my Sister's wedding in 1973!! What a small world. I took it apart after I bought it. Dates to August '56. He never had it apart. It's had flats all its life. Virtally no fret wear. I got a good one!!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sweet bass man. Leave it as is, don't even change the strings.
  3. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

You bet! Just wanted to disassemble to check dates. Still has the felt string mute, too. Awesome. Case is a newer one. He said the first case disintigrated!! LOL

4. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You just got THA-TIME-CAPSULE P-bass!!!!!!

5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Fenders have never made me do a double take until now.

HOLY WOW! My hatred of you is so high right now. j/k
    Great find sir. I'd like to say, "Play the piss out of it." but I don't think that would be appropriate. Give it a nice home and keep that lady pampered.

Awesome find. Awesome find.

6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Awesome. Seriously, that's awesome!

An old Precision like that has such a great vibe. The studio where I interned owned a '60s Precision with flatwounds on it that seemed just as old... man that thing felt and sounded great. They had a '60s Rickenbacker 12-string guitar there too, which was just as magical.
  7. Wow!

Nice find!!! If you don't mind me asking, why'd he sell it?
  8. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Thanx everyone. I love it. The neck finish is completely worn off. Too cool! Awesome V profile to it, also. In remarkable shape for its age. He quit in 1980. It had been in the attic. He's thinking of retiring and selling his business. Thought it was time to let it go. That's the story!!!

9. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    That is so awesome. It's sweet to get one of those, but to get one in such good condition, that really is awesome. Have fun with it!
  10. "This one cannot be played. No don't look at it! Don't even think about it."

Make sure you take care of that one.
  11. Excellent. Two words for this: Awesomely cool. That bass is stunning considering its age. It's older than my father.
  12. Im really happy for you!! Dont let that one go..You found a real jewel.

13. BCinU

Jun 24, 2004
    What an excellent find! Congratulations.

I've got a friend that plays a burst 56 with a Fralen pickup. I've not seen it, but I imagine it to be very similar.

Play that thing, man! :bassist:
  14. Defiantely play it!!! BTW...what were you able to score that for...just to make the rest of us sick...
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Great score.
    How does it sound?
  16. You don't see something like that every day. You got lucky!
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004

Nothing as sad as a museum bass... play it.
  18. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Thanx for all the comments. Nothing museum about it. Well played piece. Just kept care of it. Lots of wear but no abuse.

Bass sounds pretty cool. Kinda noisy with the single coil but that was to be expected. Don't think I'll be gigging with her!!
    Doesn't make sense. That what my Sadowsky's are for.

Bass is a light piece. About 8lbs

19. Wow!!

Great find!!! Congrats!