Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new 1974 SVT rig... pictures!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CzarMike, Apr 11, 2004.

1. I got this 1974 Ampeg SVT Head off Ebay for $1100, of course it didn't work and came with broken tubes. After 4 months in the shop and another $500 amp-tech bill, it is complete!

[​IMG]

Geddy Lee Jazz - SVT - Avatar 4x10

[​IMG]

I bought a few yards of new tolex from fliptops.com and made the new front baffle for the amp (to preserve the original), and had enough tolex to make a nice cover for my Avatar 4x10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have any recordings yet, so you'll have to take my word that it sounds awesome at any volume, especially if you like to play loud.

2. SVT gives me GAS!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    $1100 for a broken SVT...is that what they're going for these days?!! Holy Cow!!!

In '99 I bought a filthy '73 for $250 and all it needed was a bath, a couple knobs and a new set of preamp tubes...

Your rig sure looks great!!! Congrats...

4. I was curious about the price myself but these amps must a greater demand than supply these days.

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    As good as the amp looks I'm surprised how well that avatar cab cleaned up! Was it much of a hassle to cover it? Did you just put the tolex over the grill or remove the grill?

6. I took off the avatar's grill and constructed a wooden frame to replace it, which I then covered with the svt tolex. I wish I hadn't used screws to hold the final product in place though, I should have used velcro on the back.

7. Gracias, damn you got a great deal!
    I watched for some kind of deal to cross my path, this one just seemed like what I was looking for. It needed a lot more work than I expected though.

rawk

8. ampeg SVT amps are great:) really nice rig man.
    I played a VB-4H head recently, and was totally blown away, lovely sound, nice warm, good mids (stingray :bassist: )
    I think i'm going to buy one:) i'm just not sure that it's loud enough.

9. Nice. Very nice. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. :bassist:

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I'm really surprised by the surge in price of 70's SVT heads over the last year. I'm glad they're starting to cost what they're worth, though!

I just scored a '69 (my 4th!) for $250 that's on it's way to me, but it's supposedly in need of a total restoration... glad I do all my own work!

CzarMike - what did you have done that cost $500?

11. Nice Rig!!

I love the "old school" look and sound. I just can't afford it myself right now.

TUBES (drool)

That SVT needs to set upon a 810. :D

12. MAN YOU GOT ME DROOLING!!!... If anybody is selling a 1969 SVT let me know...

13. Cooool............Your rig looks awesome!
    Maybe I should resurface my Eden cabs to look different.
    I wouldn't bite off your idea of the Retro thing. But now you got me thinking of a million ways I can cosmetically enhance my cabs.

I play an SVT too. It's a 90's version though. They really do sound beautiful and warm.

I hope you enjoy your new SVT as much as I do mine. :)

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sorry, I'm too busy drooling to type. :)

15. Most excellent!

SVTs rule.....
    Soon going to get pics of mine with the NV-610....

:D

16. ah man, those awesome svt deals make me feel ill. Thats a steal!

For the $500 I got: 1 new matched sextex of tubes & 3 new preamp tubes, new power cord, new fan, bag full of bad resistors/capacitors which were replaced by sprague orange drops, 1 new tube socket, circuit board cleanup, updated wiring according to ampeg suggestion (he basically matched a schematic they released quite some time ago) and 2 new switches.... Whew, thats a lot of stuff.

Dave Lancaster in Peoria IL is the tech who did the repairs, I highly reccommend him and he promised to offer a relatively cheap SVT electronics repair kit for hobbyists in the near future. His # is: 309-685-0840 if you're interested. He has also worked on my Traynors with excellent results, he is a master of the plexi mod if you have a tone-junky g*&*****st in your band (I sacrified my YBA-1 for the sake of great recordings).

Theoretically you could snatch up a broke-down or slightly used svt for $250-400 as mentioned above, get it completely checked up for $500 and have a badass rig for an insultingly low price. I imagine any good tech would really go to town with a $500 budget.

17. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I was just curious what you got for your $500 - that's a lot of cake; I just wanted to make sure you got your money's worth! Sounds like you found a guy who knows what he's doing, and that's rare.

Like I said above, I do all my own work, so I'm lucky in that respect - all it costs me is parts and my time.

About that $250 '69 I just got - it may or may not be a steal; I haven't gotten it yet. Supposedly it's pretty trashed...

I've got a '74 I'm working on now (with a rewound *hotrodded* power transformer) that I got for $400 plus another $125 for the rewind. I'll have about $650 in it when it's done, and I'm hoping for 400 watts...

18. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    Where do you find ad's for these? Or do you just snoop around in local pawn shop because I’ve been searching around my area and no one has ever seen or heard of one ever coming into their store. I'm an Electrical Engineer and need a good project to fill up my spare time!

19. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I scored one on ebay for $400 a year or so ago. That's the one that ended up having the blown power tranny and will be my hotrod... The guy had the power and preamp sections listed in two different auctions because he didn't know what it was. The auction title just said "tube amp" or something like that.

Technically though, if I had to pay a tech to get it working, it would probably have cost me an arm and a leg, just because of the blown PT.

The '69 I have coming to me is from a guy on the plexi palace board. He was originally just selling the trannies, but it turns out he had 95% of the head in pieces in a box. Like I said, it's a total basket case.