Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new 4004!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GabeN, Mar 2, 2006.

1. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    This thing ROCKS! I've been playing some of Cliff Burton's riffs and they sound exactly like the Kill 'em All album, even through at guitar amp and a crappy guitar distortion pedal. It's got the smoothest, punchiest sound I've ever heard. My Ibanez 200 sounds like a turd with strings. I got it for 450 with a hard case from a pawn shop. I feel like I won the lottery!

[​IMG]

2. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Sweet. Nothing like getting some killer gear at a price to die for.

3. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Was thins the one that was supposed to have warped neck? If so how did that turn out, was it fixxable via a truss rod adjustment?

I love the look of those basses,:eek: I really wish they still made 'em that way with the all walnut wings. The new maple faced verrsion just doesn't do it for me.

Well, with all the clamour for the Lemmy 4004, maybe Rick will find it in their hearts to give us an all walnut winged 4004. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't mind a Lemmy style 4004 (bound neck & body, walnut wings, RW fingerboard) but maybe with just two PUs, I;d buy one.

I'm really jonesing for a Rick again. I really regret selling my '79 MG 4001. I had it on consignment at a local shop, where it sat for months. I finnaly went in to take it back and it had sold! :(

BTW, Conrats!:p :smug:

~Paul :)

4. Good find man.............enjoy. :bassist:

5. BNM

BNM

Feb 4, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Is the neck warped? At first glance I thought it was but I figured the camera angle must be weird.

6. yea i read the thread about the problems with this bass but is it just me of does this bass look like it have fanned fret in the picture because the neck is THAT warped. i hope not, and if so i certainly hope it can be fixed.

anyway killer bass man, i have a 4003 and now i really really want to add a 4004 to the collection.

7. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Yes, the neck is warped pretty badly toward the end. It's very playable though, even with the warp. I've tightened the truss rods up and am letting out the tension slowly to see if anything striaghtens out.

Anybody have any truss rod adjustment suggestions?

Ricks ROCK!!:bassist:

8. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    Congrats! A ric is high on my GAS list....I'm just going to have to spend more time in pawn shops I guess. ;)

9. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Congrats.....4004's are fantastic! I think if more were readily available they'd be VERY popular. My 4004Ci is probably my best all around Ric.

As far as the truss rods go try adjusting them independently. I would completely loosen them both and tighten the rod on the side of the neck that is high.....from the pic it looks like the top rod. It may even take some creative twisting/clamping to get it to hold but I'd just give the rods a shot first.

Don't forget that I'll be glad to "refund" your money if you give up on it....:p

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That neck humbucker must produce some serious low end. I hope you'll be able to fix the neck issues.

11. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    A pawn shop !!! What kind of maniac ditches a Rickenbacker in a pawn shop ?! You are truly a lucky man sir !!:bassist:

12. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    The neck humbucker rocks. The sucker totally overpowers my 25 watt guitar amp, but that's to be expected. I have tightened both rods and am letting out the pressure on the 'downside' rod to try to straighten things out.

Incubus-I don't think that 'refund' is gonna happen!:D

13. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    That's awesome. I need to start going to pawn shops.

14. sweet deal man, you are a lucky man to get that for that much money...

15. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area

Dude, you DID win the lottery. Nice axe.

16. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Thanks for all the compliments, guys.

Damnation. The neck refuses to de-warp itself with truss rod adjustments. Somebody in another thread on this bass recommended PLEKing or something like that the neck. Is there somewhere I can send this thing to have it fixed?

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    It may take some time to get it back into shape. Manually twisting the neck and snugging the rods a little at a time over a few weeks is probably better than just relying on the rods to pull the neck into shape.....it is hard to say though because I really don't know how bad it is.

Post the problem and some better pics on the Ric Forum....
    http://www.forum.rickresource.com/
    ....that is by far the best source for Ric info with plenty of experts. There have been some pretty far gone Rics brought back to life at the hands of some of the members.