Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new 5-string list

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mole, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Ibanez BTB405QM

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Peavey C5 Thru Neck

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Ibanez EDC705

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Warwick RockBass Corvette Basic

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. ESP B205

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. ESP C305

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Hi again :)

A few weeks ago I started a thread about choosing a 5-string bass. I got a lot of advice, but I still can't make my mind up!

I found out that Music123 ships to the UK, which has cut the cost of some of the basses which were previously out of my price range. The Ibanez EDC705 has really caught my eye, it looks stunning... just wish I could give it a try :)
    The Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard, Warwick RockBass Corvette Basic, ESP B205 and ESP C305 have also been added to my list of options.

Remember, I'm looking for a bass that will suite my style of playing. I jam with a couple of guitar players, mostly playing Faith No More, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Primus, Queens Of The Stone Age, Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, System Of A Down Tool, etc. I have also started playing Dream Theater with another friend. I really like playing progressive stuff; I think this is the direction I will go in terms of writing and playing.

I'm not really looking for a classic or jazzy bass, I want something modern, 'new-age' if you will.

I would really like a bass with active electronics, I'm not sure if all of the above do :confused:

One final thing, does anyone know of any other online, US based guitar shops that ship to the UK? If so, please tell me :D

Here's a pic of the Ibanez EDC705, I think it looks quite amazing:

[​IMG]

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    The EDC705 is pretty nice, but why not get into the EDA905's? There's a fretless version if you wanted to learn later on, it has a piezo bridge (TONS of tones) and is a bit lighter, IMO. I think Neptoon is the one with the 905 twins:D It's a little more money, but has wider string spacing, if that's for you. I personally prefer the EDA.

However, I've only heard good things about the BTB405QM. 35' scale (excellent B), wide string spacing, and has Bartolini (sp?) electronics (active:)).

I've never tried any of the other ones, but I think that you're gonna get a lot of recomendations for the BTB's.

JUST MY 2 CENTS

3. I voted for the BTB405 because I own one and it is one fine bass for what I paid for it. The BTB is a little larger and heavier than most current models, but that's one of the reasons I like it. I feel like I've really got something in my hands, and the weight doesn't bother me. Very beautiful finish.

4. The Ibanez EDA905 is actually the same price as the EDC705 on Music123 :)
    I just gotta find a shop that sells them so I can try them out!

Here's a pic of the EDA905:

[​IMG]

Also very amazing :D

5. I would vote for the Ibanez - in fact Im gunna when I'm done writin :) Like yourself Mole, I'm not big on 'classic' or 'vintage', I like em slick and modern. Sadly Iv yet to try the ergodynes, but Im guessing that Luthite body delivers quite a unique tone! Plus the level of detail and scope for sound adjustment on the EDA is verging on anal!!! I was gunna be getting the EDB605, as it was closest in my price range but I eventually reached breaking point and couldnt wait any longer till one was in stock. The bass I did get...is coming tomorrow, and if I'm happy with - which i hope to god almighty I am, then I'll be back here being all happy n stuff! See, I didnt get to try it...yet it didnt stop me cleaning out my already ravaged bank account. Risky...i reckon. What if it sucks?? Ohhh suddenly Im not excited anymore. I've got this big sick feeling. And a huge empty space in my wallet. Everyone send happy thoughts.......

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    seeing as your on a tight budget, AND in the uk, check out a bass collection unless your set on buying a 'more recognised' brand.

These basses float around on 2nd hand shops for next to nothing (around £200!) considering the quality, and are for the most part active! :p

if i see one, ill private message you a link, that is if your interested in sampling one, plus you wont have US shipping fee's.:)

7. chimp_spanner, which bass did you choose to get instead? And when you get it, we want pics :D

I've never heard of bass collection, but if you find a 5-string at a reasonable price please tell me!

I was checking out 6-strings on Music123 a few minutes ago, and I've seen one with active electronics for about £430! Shame I have never heard of the manufacturer :(

It's a Samick FAIRLANE 6, I have no idea if they're any good... could someone give me a clue?

Here's a pic, if it wasn't red I would be extremely tempted to buy this:

[​IMG]

The quilt top is rather nice, though :)

Check out their Fairlane series, the video is pretty good as well.

8. I would persoanlly have the MTD Kingston over any of those basses - better feel IMO and MUCH better B string.

Plus I can't stand Ibanez. Their high-end guitars are pretty good though.

9. But an MTD Kingston has that more traditional look, unless I'm mistaken? Plus, I havn't found a UK supplier as of yet :(

Thanks anyway :)

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    MTD Kingston,, hands down. Granted,, it doesnt have the active electronics,, but IMO its the best playing bass in its class.. It has a modern punchy tone to boot.

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Nope,, its one of the most "modern" looking basses out right now. I would definately search for a UK supplier if i were you. I bought mine without ever having seen one in person,, I had been sampling US MTDs,, Modulus' and Pedullas,, and was STILL blown away by the quality, playability and even tone of the Kingston.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How about None of the above?

If I had to pick one from your list, I would get the EDA905. But there are better basses out there for the price.

The aforementioned MTD Kingston blows all of those away, IMHO. And a Fender Jazz isn't exactly modern, but it blows those away as well.

Does Peavey import the Fury V to your country? If they do, it is worthy of consideration. It has very good active electronics for a low priced 5 string, and a clear sounding B string.

13. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The bass centre in london is the only UK distributer of MTDs basses as far as I know...

I like the warwick corvette myself... you seem to be looking for a bass that looks very modern... no offence, but I wouldn't have any of these basses but the Rockbass stuff. I've never likes Ibanez basses. The nicest one I've played is the BTB, but for a bass with a 35" scale it's B string was awful... maybe I just got a duff one. Otherwise it wasn't bad. I'd go Warwick Rockbass or MTD...

14. I put Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats on my BTB405 and the "B" is great.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you want to be careful here - loads of US shops do ship to the UK.

BUT - the price they quote plus shipping, is not the end of the story!

Any bass coming into the UK will get stopped at customs and duty will be charged as well as 17.5% VAT - you are looking at almost doubling the price, if you include P&P as well.

To be safe, I would assume double on any price you see for a bass on a US retailer's price list.

But then - I've seen those basses you are considering, in UK shops anyway - my local shop in Brighton has those Ibanez basses you put a picture of - don't really rate them!!

They look much more like plastic in real life - horrible!

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would agree that MTDs blow away any on your list - the Bass centre in Wapping has loads of them and Overwater in Carlisle has had some.

17. It seems that the Kingston MTDK5 is getting a lot of praise, so you're definitely tempting me :D

The only problem I have with them is the choice of colour... I'm a picky person, sorry :)

18. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    On a side note, how much (more than the Kingston) is the MTD Heir?

19. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    On my five string wish list figures the new Rickenbacker Cheyenne Bass which should be offered next January, but in Natural colour.

20. Looks lovely :)

Any idea on what sort of price tag it will have?
    A high one I'm guessing :D