1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new 5-string mistress! (Sage custom!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Nov 13, 2010.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Just wanted to show off my new baby :hyper:

She's a Sage 5-string, fully custom-made in 2006. I got her by a stroke of luck in an online deal (not on Talkbass) from a really nice guy in Philly. Swamp ash body, figured walnut top, high gloss finish. 6-bolt flamed maple neck with a really nice wood stripe down the middle that appears to be flamed walnut. Macassar ebony fretboard with silver-ringed dark wood dot inlays. Black Hipshot hardware and black Schaller straplocks. Aero pickups with macassar ebony covers, and a macassar ebony control cavity cover on the back. Audere preamp, I believe it is a 4-band model. This bass is very lightweight and well-balanced.

The string spacing is perfect for me - about 18 mm. I have large hands, so narrow string spacing is out of the question for me. Nonetheless, I am used to playing 4-string almost exclusively, so wide spacing makes transitioning between 4 and 5 kinda tough. So far I feel really comfortable on this bass.

I've been wrestling with 5-string basses for years, and have, until now, never found one that agreed with me. I always end up selling them. This one is the first fiver I've ever played at band practice - which means it's almost certainly a keeper. Every past one I've owned I've only ever used for noodling around at home. I played the Sage right out of the box at practice last Thursday - action was perfect and she sounded awesome in the mix. My bandmates couldn't stop staring at the bass, hah :D She came with a pretty nice Mono gig-bag, but I'm thinking something this nice definitely needs a hardcase.

Some pics! :bassist:

Sage%20001.
    Sage%20008.
    [​IMG]
    Sage%20006.
    Sage%20010.
    Sage%20004.
    Sage%20011.
    Sage%20012.

2. I give it 1 month tops. Gregg would agree. ;)

3. :eek: the flame on that neck is amazing

4. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Oh god..... It's hideous....... better send it here quick for disposal.....

I'll even be nice and pay for shipping :D

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    You're WRONG, sir! I actually played this one at practice - you don't understand what a big step that is for me! I've always been too scared/too clumsy to try a 5 at practice, but this one plays like butter. The low B is tight and punchy (35" scale bolt on helps that I think) and it cuts through the mix really nicely. This is a keeper. Gregg LOVED it. He said he'd rather see me sell my Wilkins than this beauty.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hahahahahah :ninja:

7. WOW!! The grain goes in EVERY direction on that top!! Very,very unique!! BRAVO!! Standing ovation for this members score,people!!!

8. If one of Chopper's band lineups lasts longer than this bass, I'ma be upset.

9. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Wow, that is hot.

10. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry you'd have to be a part of the Omaha music scene to get this joke :D

11. I was thinking about betting you a picture of beer. ;)

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    A pitcher or a picture?

If it's a pitcher you're on! All I have to do is hang on to this bass until Dec 11 and you'll buy me a pitcher of beer? I'm in! :hyper:

13. A picture and we'll drink that picture of beer with Chop to make things that much more official.

14. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    hahah :D

15. Congrats on the gorgeous bass! :bassist: