1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sandman_96, Sep 12, 2001.

1. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Hey I just got my new dean edge 5-string today(which is my first 5-string). Its not as hard as I thought it would be to get used to it and it plays real well. I got one question though, the low B string is kinda floppy, anyone know how to tighten it up without going out of tune or would a new set of strings be better. By the way it came with EHS Boomers. Thanx.

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Is that a 35" cale B? Okay, what you could try is a heavier guage B string. It is a physics thing, but the heavier the mass of the string, the more tension you will need to get it to a B, so the string won't be as "floppy".
    Hope this helps,
    DingZ2

3. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey,

This is kinda off topic but, how is the Dean Edge. I was lookin at a dean edge Q6 but I cant find anywhere to play them. I was just wondering what you think of them.

4. sandman_96

sandman_96

Jul 16, 2001
    USA, Oklahoma
    Hey alx564,
    Well I have had a dean edge Q4 for about a year now, and was my bass of choice before i got the dean 5-string today. But i love both of them. Ive heard people say that the string spacing is tight on the 6-string but i have never played one. Other than that there one of the best basses i have found for the price IMO(i paid $300 for the 5-string).

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Thanks. I was looking at either a Cort Curbow 6 String (I have a four and love it) or the Dean. The Cort though is more expensive and I have very little money :(