Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New 60's Classic Jazz!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Aug 21, 2005.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Well my 60's Classic Jazz arrived ahead of schedule! :hyper:

I must say this is a awsome bass! Now for those who say this is just another MIM bass (come on, you know who you are..), they are dead wrong. The workmanship, quality and construction of this bass is right on par with any MIA I have played. The sound, well the name says it all....Classic Jazz. This bass also plays great, good fret work on the neck. Pretty good out of the box, I adjusted the neck a bit and slapped some new strings on....damn this bass kicks! And this bass is not cheaply built at all, there is no swimming pool routing under the pickguard (it actually looked cool with out it) like the standards and the finish is perfect! Now is it as good as the '62 RI I had many years ago, pretty damn close.....OK, I'll shut up...here are the pictures......enjoy! (BTW, I decided not to put on the BAII)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is the whole family (minus my Alembic and Carvin):
    [​IMG]
    (Left to Right, 60 Classic, Standard Fretless, Standard w/BAII)

2. Congrats! That is a classy-lookin' bass. And, G.A.S.-inducing as well.

3. Awsome dude. Im thinking of getting one of those myself eventually.
    Very nice basses indeed. :hyper:

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool , do you think you want to put the pick up covers on the bass?

5. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Nope....I tend to use allot of the areas between the bridge and the neck, depending on the sound I am looking for. So the covers woud just be in my way.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Beautiful bass, just plug it in and play! ;)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of those basses in different stores and, IMO, they played and sounded better than any USA Passive Fender J I compared it to.

Nice collection.

8. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    beautifulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll :hyper:

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree it looks like a killer bass!

10. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Thanks! I am very pleased with my purchase, plus it was a great price (much cheaper then the MIA RI basses)!! I did do a mod to it already......strap-loks! This will be my main bass for a long time now.....

11. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    I have that same exact bass, color and all. I also have a MIA Deluxe. I am hard pressed as to which build quality is better. Although more expensive than the typical MIM jazz, not near the cost of a MIA, this is not the typical MIM. I did trade the pups out for dimarzio ultra's, whcih I like much better. One of the better passive's I've heard, and the strings can be set quite low. I did install the bridge ashtray as I seldom play in that area; however, I didn't install the pickup ashtray as it would get in my way. Truly a fine bass with a very good and clear bottom, piano sounding.
    Enjoy.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    That is really beautifull, congratulations. I would like to post some pictures of my jazz but I can't figure it out. I have Kodak easy share but the files are too big. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

13. Wow that is a hottie! Congrats!

When you say there is no swimming pool, do you mean it's totally clean under the pick guard? No visible routing at all? Jaco style?

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Fender Classic '60s Jazz basses are great! I owned one for a while, but sold it because I have grown to like flatter fretboards. However, I really liked the tone and quality of the bass. I like the Classic '60s Jazz better than the highly raved about Geddy Lee sig. bass...

15. that thing looks awesome. congrats.

16. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Yep!

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    If that had some block inlays, I'd be drooling all over. Very, very nice bass. I got to share the stage with a guy who had a bass of similar caliber (same finish and pickguard)... MIM Jazz body, Allparts or some other neck with blocks, tort pickguard, Gotoh bridge, Hipshot tuners, and Dimarzio pickups. Lemme tell you, if that didn't scream "PLAY ME!," nothing would.