Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New '62 Jazz bass re-issue!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Jan 7, 2003.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I love this bass! I forgot how much I miss my old Fender! This is a great sounding bass. It has a great low end, and the slap tone is unreal! I may end up getting it re-fretted with med-jumbo frets. Sweet looking bass though! What do you think....replace the pickguard with tortoise shell?
    Check it out:
    [​IMG]
    :D

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Very nice! I'd leave the scratchplate as it is.

3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i always wondered how in the world you slap on one of those...can u get your hand between the pup cover and the neck well enough?

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't have any problem with the pickup cover. I just rest my hand on it(the thumb rest gets in the way though) . It is somewhat difficult to play fingerstyle with the bridge pickup cover on, but it looks so cool!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice bass. Congrats!!!!

I'll leave the mint pickguard on it bit I woul take off the bridge pick up cover!!!!

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's the same body with a tort guard to give you an idea of how it might look:

[​IMG]

I used to have a mint guard on there, but I prefer the tort.

As for slapping, I use the neck pickup cover as a rest for my hand. It helps keep the tone uniform in the rare instnace that I slap. It's also great when I use a pick. I love my covers, and can't imagine ever taking them off of there now.

7. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Josh, I thought you might say that! I have had my eye on it for some time. I plan on picking up a Bag End 15 in the spring. Since the F-Bass is in the shop, I needed the Jazz bass to gig with any ways.

8. Go with the tortise shell pickguard. The always look good to me.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    [Stalone voice on] Yo Adrian [Stalone voice off]. That is one BAD bass! Im inpressed, You just gave me gassssss. I thought I had it under control but that is NICE! I would leave it just like that, . Plus everybody is doin that one (tort on sunburst) the pg looks fine and helps give the bass identity.:cool: :cool:

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice!!!!!!!!!

:D

But I like it more with the block inlays on the fretboard...... looks killer

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the '62! I've had mine for almost a decade now, was the first bass I ever bought (sight unseen, by the way), and is still my #1 and my all-time fav! Not only is it a killer classic, rock, hard rock, funk, and blues bass, but might be the best all-around jazz made. I'm not sure where the white pickguard came from, but JPJ says "Tortoise" all the way! You wouldn't want Jonesy to come to your house to rough you up over a little piece of nitrocellulose, now would you? :D ;)

12. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Mint pickguard is on the bass, because the bass was re-finished by Fender. The bass was originally Lake Placid Blue, but the finish was heavily checked when they got it. Fender re-finished it 3-tone sunburst. I would like to pick up a Tortoise shell guard to keep the bass true to vintage!

I had to change my post! Apparently(if you read it) I was wrong about the Stingray price!

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    That's why my pickup covers are stored in my desk...

14. I'd go with the tort guard. I just think they look better. That is one dynamite looking bass.

Congrats.

Mike

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I was wondering at first why this bass had a white pickguard on a sunburst bass, because the 60's sunbursts always has a tort pickguard from the factory, but you explained it.

I hate white pickguards, I would suggest putting a tort shell on, it would look just correct.

16. Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but what exactly do the pickup covers do? Like, do they make your sound different, or are they just for looks? I think they look great, but are probably hard to play on..although I havn't tried one yet :p

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Some people will tell you that the sound is slightly different with the neck pickup cover on...assuming you're talking about the chrome bridge and not the actual plactic cover. They were one of Leo's many inventions that just didn't take off. The covers were just too inconvenient since you have to remove them every time you change strings, and some people (like me) don't think they're comfortable. The "thumb rest" is another great example of a feature that was truely designed to help the jazz player, since the "Jazz bass" was originally intended to establish a stonger Fender bass presence in the jazz community, which at the time, shunned the electric bass. Since the bass was never really played in an upright position, and has been played by many a non-jazz player, you don't find too many jazzes with the thumb rest either. ;)

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played one at GC about a year ago and was more than impressed! Nice pick-up!:D

Now, that's punny!

19. Sweet bass!

I actually like the vintage look of the white picguard myself. :D How bout a white pearloid one?

Congrats!

20. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The pickup and bridge covers were used for shielding the pickups. It does greatly reduce the hum. I think they look sweet. I had to take the thumb rest off though.