1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new '62 P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lagaupia, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    Well it's kind of a '62. The Neck has 1962 date. The serial number dates it to 61/62. The body appears to be original but was refinished long ago. Does anyone have any useful tips for dating a pre CBS body?

Everything else on this baby has also been changed. Awesome piece of slab board though.

The only thing that worries me is the truss rod. At some point the nut was replaced. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance guys.

Attached Files:

2. ronster91

ronster91

Apr 10, 2008
    Collins NY
    Nice man. That kicks ass!

3. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Hang on, you say this is a slab bodied P bass, as in no contours?

:O if so there was only like 20 of them made.

4. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    I think he meant fingerboard. Great bass tho

5. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    slab fretboard. not body.

6. Burst tort P. Just got doen moaning about wanting a P on a different thread. that one would do it for me. Drooling and green with envy.

7. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    anyone?

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Back in the preCBS days they used to write the body date in the pickup cavity, but I think they stopped doing that around 61/62-ish.

9. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Please make justice to that beauty: throw away the ugly Badass and put a standard Fender bridge on it!

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    If the trussrod works right I wouldn't worry about it. Replacement trussrod nuts with the correct cross type head are available if you decide to change it.

11. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    Yea the badass is going. Someone also put active duncans in there. I will be replacing it with the appropriate '62 Reissue pickup for now. Until I can find originals.

Oh and P.S. I immediately checked to see if the word "Funk" was in the neck heel... lol.

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    aaaaarrrrggghhhh, I didn't noticed :bag:

13. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I don't want to be captain bringdown, but it looks like that board may have been shaved down some, though it's hard to say from the pic. Take a look at the slab on my march '62 P:

3383368844_ee6cc2177d_b.

It looks like it has a fair bit more meat at the fret ends. It's possible yours was shaved to compensate for some neck problems at some point - hence the weird truss rod adjuster. It looks like it's buried kind of deep too.

I could EASILY be wrong, but you may want to have it checked out.
    Anyway, as long as the neck is stable, the truss rod has some adjustment left and it sounds good, not much else really matters.
    My 62 is a bit of a mutt - body, neck, and pickups are the only original parts, but it's a great bass. One of the best feeling necks ever IMHO.

14. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    Yea this ones definately a mutt. I'm sure the neck was shaved at some point. but for $600 bucks...

She plays great!

15. VegaV77

VegaV77

Nov 13, 2008
    i love it bro thats a great find!!!

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    pm me if you wanna sell that badass.

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I constantly crave a genuine early '60s C neck! You are a lucky man...

18. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    $600??? Great grab for sure! I bet it feels awesome!

19. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Nice Score! Looks like it will be worth investing in vintage parts.

20. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    Possibly or it was shaved down when it was re fretted sometime in the past, no big deal imo. My 78 had almost no fretboard after a few re frets. It's just part of having a vintage instrument that's a player which is a good thing. Congrats