Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new '62 RI Fender Jazz Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Nov 3, 2005.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Well I finally have a chance to write about my new axe! It is a '62 RI Jazz Fretless which I got from GuitarJapan.com (great people to deal with). I don't were to begin.....this bass is WOW!

The good.....It arrived the day after my birthday! The bad....that was the day after Hurricane Wilma!! Thus no power....no amp!!

Ok, right out of the box this bass played like a dream, it was set up perfect (unlike the basses hanging on the wall in GC)! It came strung up with roundwound strings which I was glad (other fretless Fenders I have tried including my MIM fretless come with flats).

The quality of this bass I rate a 11 out 10! Flawless, there is not issue with the construction or finish. The neck finish is tinted to give that vintage look. Something interesting, the specs say the fingerboard is Rosewood. But is not like any rosewood fingerboard I have seen. It is much harder then other basses I have with the same fingerboard wood. I don't think the strings will be eating this up too soon! The neck on this bass feels just like the neck on my '60s Classic Jazz. While I am on the neck, the vintage tuners are of a very high quality. They are actually made by Gotoh, and have torque adjustments (unlike the tuners on my Classic Jazz).

The body is a beautiful sunburst on Alder. It has the exposed ground strap like the original jazzes. This bass comes with the pickguard not installed (ala Jaco), but it is shipped with the bass.
    Funny thing, the manuals are all in Japanese!

Sound (now that I have power)....well what can I say but vintage Fender. :hyper: It comes with USA vintage pickups. The sound just blows me away! I have owned many Fenders over the years but this one is by far the best. And the best value! $716 total!!

Ok...the pics. (for those interested, the pics on the bottom kinda show my Classic Jazz and my Standard Jazz)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Shipped and duties? Sounds like a great deal.

3. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Killer bass, dude; enjoy it!

4. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    $716 Shipped.....no customs or duties.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    They have a nice selection of lefties as well!

:)

6. That's a beauty, and "sounds" like it sounds great!

I can't make up my mind about your pick guard, though.
    That's a beautiful body; hate to cover it up, but it looks a little "naked". I think it's because of how the cover for the controls is shaped. Sort of looks like it needs the guard to complete the shape....

Enjoy! :bassist:

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  8. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    It has that Jaco look.....without all the screw holes!

9. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Nice! Love the finish!

You said the fingerboard is harder than rosewood; is it possible the fingerboard has a finnish on it? A matte finish like the Jaco model wouldn't look that finnished and lets face it, this is basicaly a Japanese Jaco model.

Lucky dawg!

Enjoy!

~Paul :)

10. ClassicJazz

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    From what I read, they do make a CIJ Jaco version with the coated fingerboard. The finger board on mine is not coated, but it is not like any rosewood fingerboard I have seen on US or Korean basses.

11. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    The fingerboard on my CIJ 62'reissue wasn't coated either, but compared to a rosewood board i had on a previously owned yamaha fretless, it has a lot more mwah! But I've since had the fingerboard on my CIJ 62'RI coated with polyurethan.

Even though I agree with you ClassicJazz that the sound from the CIJ 62'RI is good, I'm upgrading mine with a Nordstrand NJSE bridge pickup and a J-retro. Hope this turns out well. :)