1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new '73 P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    As promised, here are pics of my recently purchased 1973 P-bass. I did a little investigation when I got it home, and at first glance it appears to be mostly original. I've got to do more research on the pots, pickup, and neck numbers and markings however.

Please excuse the quality of the pics, it was nearly dark and outside and I had to resort to using the flash instead of ambient light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1973 AINT NEW!!! :spit:

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Well, it's new to me, schmarty pants.... :bassist:

4. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    hehe, enjoy m8! wish i still had mine. have fun :bassist:

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Nice catch! Any plans to mod it or are you just going to keep her as is?

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yes. I say you mod it and reduce the value by at least half.

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm thinking about routing in a Musicman pickup down by the bridge and a cavity for an onboard preamp. I had also thought of converting it to an 8-string by adding the octave pairs with some guitar-sized tuners. Possibly extending the neck pocket to handle a 24 fret neck. I'll probably deepen out the lower cutaway to let me really get up there and play solo "Lead Bass" with some awesome sweeping picking technique too. :eyebrow:

Or maybe I'll just preserve it as original and fully embrace the mojo and vintage goodness of Leo's timeless design. Yeah, that seems like the best idea. :)

8. breckscratcher

breckscratcher Guest

Jan 18, 2007
    you mess with that thing and you'll regret it later. it's beautiful man, have fun playin it.

9. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Glad to hear that. Although the sarcasm was highly unwarranted.:eyebrow:

10. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to offend with the sarcasm. I shoulda put a :D after the :eyebrow: to show that it was all in jest.

I'm a fairly "keep it original" kinda guy, especially with older vintage stuff. I even restored my car back to stock condition rather than modding it to use newer technology.

11. pics don't show

12. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah, I know, my web host is experiencing some "issues" evidently.

13. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB

We're cool. I usually ask because we have seen all types of things done to vintage instruments here. Recently someone threatened to parts an older bass unless someone bought. There was even a countdown in the thread about it. So you never know :D

14. Sent you a PM.

15. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Just a gratuitous bump with a playability and cosmetic update.

I broke out some rubbing compound and wax, and was able to remove the black discoloration on the rear of the body. The marks by the bottom strap button are there to stay, unfortunately. The compound and wax removed lots of the smaller scratches on the front too.

I strung it with a set of GHS flats and set up the relief and action to my liking. A small "oh S@!t" moment as I started to tighten the truss rod, as it was spinning with very little effort. Luckily it was due to the truss rod being backed off nearly all the way due to the very light gauge strings that were on the bass. Once I worked it about 2 turns, I could feel it tighten up and the relief is just where I like it.

This bass has a wonderful traditional Precision tone, it's definitely a keeper.

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's a very nice and extremely clean looking bass.

Neck date looks 73 dated correct, pots are clearly dated 73 correct, pickup is a proper gray bottom althought no date but looks untouched. Very nice.

17. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks for the input. I haven't had the time to scour the web to validate the pots, neck stamp, etc but I thought they looked original.

18. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    God forbid you devalue a bass that is already cost-inflated to well beyond overpriced based on hype. You might actually make it sound better too, which as we all know is sacrilege when dealing with any old instrument.

:) :)

(I am kidding, FYI)

But seriously, how about some sound clips? I want to hear this baby roar. :D

19. :bawl: nice, i wish my 77' was natural, it would look better than black on black :bawl: :cool: