Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new '75 RI Fender Jazz feels like home....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Jun 18, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i played nothing but a fender jazz for 10 years. the last couple years ive been trying new high end basses trying to find the step up. out of all the stuff i tried i liked the modulus flea bass with the lane poor pup and bart pre the most. i really like spector also it was just too small and lite for me. ive been playing the flea basses the last 2 years now and something just didnt feel right. i felt i was loosing my feel. almost like the bass was doing all the work. the last year ive been noticing all the RI jazz bass making a comeback. i bet about half the people on talkbass have bought a block inlay jazz bass in the last couple years (or already had one) and alot of bands ive been seeing lately seem to be going back to the old school fenders. one popped up on the classified ads a couple weeks ago at a fair price so i thought id give it a try. it is a made in japan 75 RI that was made in 1993. when i got it i took it in to my local shop and had a baddass II put on and a new nut. the bass already has fralin pups. i also put on a thumbrest, pickup cover, and classic knobs just for the looks thing. i got it back last night set it up and played it a little. today i did some small adjustments and its ready to go. i just got back from diner at a little blues and bbq joint. i had diner with my mom and i wanted her to see it so i had it in my car. at the end of diner a friend of mines blues band got up and played a set. loud texas blues. he asked me if i wanted to sit in the last set cause the bass player wasnt feeling good so i thought this would be a good time to break out the new fender. i also had my ashdown abm500 in the car so i grabbed it also.when i pulled the bass out of the case everyone came up asking me about it. it is a beauty. i got up there and plugged my ashdown into a ampeg 8x10 and plugged in my jazz bass. i just tuned to the guitar player since i didnt have a tuner. i didnt have time to get a sound together so i turned my eq off. cranked my input. turned my valve knob up about half way and went with it. the tone was the best ive ever had. i cant believe how fat the neck pickup is. fralins rock. i blended in a little of the bridge pup just for a little sizzle. it was one of the funnest live shows ever. after the set, the band wanted me to replace their bassplayer. i had people comming up to me talking about me sound. i couldnt believe it. these japan fenders are awesome. way better that my old mia jazz. it is really heavy but with the ash body mass and the fralin pups, it is a tone machine. i cant believe it was only a 650.00 bass. it just feels so right. i think im back home with fender. heres a couple pics i just took.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    NICE BASS! A 75' RI was my dream bass at one point and I'd still love to have one, they're just so sexy.

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Loverly :)

4. Ive been GASin for a CIJ fender '75 for a few months now, but havent picked up the courage to just get one. Been looking around at some Laklands and Sadowskys but after reading your little story i think i will go out and get one!!

I prefer the natural, maple neck black pickguard myself but rosewood on natural is still damn sexy

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've got one too! Would recommend it wholeheartedly, however it is not a "replacement" for my Sadowsky. But it is a very good passive bass that nails Larry Graham to the "T" (if only I could nail Larry Graham). Congrats on the cool bass.

6. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    what a coincidence... i just picked one up as well (from someone over on the DudePit) and i too feel like it's "Just Right"

i debated and played basses for about 6 months before just jumping in on it, and am THRILLED with this "new" bass. congrats on the purchase... enjoy!

[​IMG]