My New 8-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CROZ, Feb 18, 2001.

1. I'm back after a long absence.
    Now I want to show off my new bass... and give a report.
    I got a dean rhapsody 8-string from bass NW
    Here's a pic.
    I think it was a pretty good deal for an 8-string but here are my gripes:
    The neck is a little lumpy...I can feel the high and low spots in the finish,(and boy does it have a lot of finish on it!) , and the body shows a lot of waviness in the finish under bright lights. The EQ circuit is way too extreme. I keep it flat.

Other than that it's great. It's a whole new animal, though. It's definitely not going to replace my jazz bass but it's fun as hell. It creates a MONSTER sound with a little distortion. I've also been having some fun with a flanger making my own "bass folk music" with triads and harmonics.

Alright JT, here is your cue. Lecture me on what is the true 8-string bass. (wouldn't a 16 string be cool?)
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I Played one a while back & I thought for the money, you can't get a better 8 string. (doubled 8) I know it has EMG-HZ's w/a preamp, but I'm liking the HZ more & more as I play them. It's gonna be my next bass. I wanna wait til they have more color options. I want a nice quilt in red or amber.

Good luck with it.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

bill conklin made an 11 string for a guy about 7 years ago - it was a 7 string with the top 4 strings doubled. very cool - sorta like bass + 12 string guitar.

oh, and nice bass :D
  4. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have always wondered how easy one of these doubled string basses is to play. I am typically a 4 stringer, but I have had remote interest in an 8 string. How does it feel to play it? How does it sound? I can't find one at any of my local music shops (Mars included) and I am weary about buying one sight unseen and having never played one.

5. How does it feel to play? Pretty natural like a 4 string. The width at the nut is a far cry from my jazz bass, though.
    How does it sound? The only song that I know that uses a doubled string bass is "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam. That was a Hamer 12 string though. (2 octave strings).
    You'd really have to hear it to understand, but
    I already yearn for a ZON sonus 8 string now.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well make sure you have a good rest before trying basses next time! It's not good to try them when you're weary! ;)
  7. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    As well as that, I think that John Entwistle played one on Trick Of Light on the Who's album Who Are You?

Just wondering, what do you do for strings on an 8 string - can you buy 8 string sets? I ask because I've never seen any myself. Still, that's probably because of the terrible shops that I have to put up with around here. :(
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played a couple of 8-stringers in my time, though I can't remember any brand names...they escape me, and were probably very forgettable. But, I've always wanted one, just don't want to spend too much, yet because of my expensive taste, want an expensive-type 8. Anybody know who else makes good 8-string basses?
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ibanez and Kramer did a long time ago. Hamer is the best known one in recent years thanks to Cheap Trick and King's X.

I've played one of the import Hamers. They feel solid, but clunky. To me, anyway. Congrats on the new bass, CROZ.

Will C.:cool: