1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new Aguilar Combo !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 5, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Well I finally did it after a few years of searching around I got a new Amp ,I got such an awesome deal from a fellow talk basser i couldent pass it up. Honestly I cant ever remember hearing my Sadowsky sound so good well except that one time through the SA200 :p I am still getting a handle on the 2 channel thing with all the new bells and wistles but I am sure that will come with time, this is one massive amp ! :bassist: [​IMG][/IMG] here are the specs http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_combos_ag500212c.htm

2. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Congrats Major! Aguilar gear is first rate; I'm sure you'll love it. Be sure to give us a full review and a gig report.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That could be the best combo of all time. Way cool.

4. congrats. I use an ag500 with gs112's, my sad sounds great through this combo. I find the distortion channel with the saturation way down can be very cool, the presence and contour are really helpful getting a great, just a little dirty/ tubey, rock tone. Originally I was gonna get the single channel version, I'm really glad I went with the two channel head.

5. ugh, G.A.S.

I've been GASing so hard for aguilar stuff lately and i dont know why because i just an orange. I think i really just want a cmobo to go to practices with instead of my stack, and i love aguilar stuff so the combination of both the gas for a combo and aguilar, this post kills me haha

nice amp man, hope it sounds awesome.

6. Every time I play one of the dual channel AG500's, I wish they would separate out that distortion channel into a box, it rules.

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Part of me [the part that lives in a small town where i can drive my car right up to the door of the gig and do multiple trips] says that thing is amazingly awesome and that i want one very badly. The part of me that has to lug everything at once on public transit says "ouch-my back", but i want one any way. :smug:

I'd like to buy some Aguilar [amongst others] cabs eventually to add to my collection.

Congrats on the combo.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea,

i mentioned this in another thread, but try running into the "overdrive" channel. set the saturation knob to "0", bright and deep boosts on. you'll get a cool psuedo tubey tone! lighter playing gives you a nice tube like sheen, while digging in produces a cool growly tone. almost like a deeper, fatter, richer Sansamp BADDI kinda sound.

and again, nice score MM!

IMHO, the aguilar guys could somehow get the EQ section of the AG series into their DB750, they'd have an even more formidable head!

9. MAJOR METAL

I am looking foward to learning all the various settings with this amp , if I was going to get an extension cab what should I get maybe a 1 15 ?

10. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    That's really nice. I had no idea they were so pricey. I need to find a place that actually stocks some Aguilar products so I can try them out.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Congrats! I can't wait until my Aggie stuff shows up...

12. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Congrats that is one sweet combo. I am thinking about picking up an AG500 to gig with. They are a lot lighter than the DB750. I am sure they sound awesome. How would you describe the AG500 clean tone?

13. MAJOR METAL

Yesterday I figured out how to use the dual channels and I was getting some nasty metal distortion with it ! :bassist:

14. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Have you had any volume issues? How's it suiting your needs?

15. MAJOR METAL

Theirs no shortage for me , you can also add an extension Cab.:bassist:

16. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I haven't played that combo, but I have demo'd an Aguilar AG500 head and a stand alone Aguilar 212 cab. That 2x12 cab is nothing short of Impressive! Phat, punchy, and Plenty loud. Not sure if the dimensions and cab volume are different between the AG 212 combo versus the stand alone 2x12. On another note, I own two Aguilar GS112's. When paired together, they give more volume than I have needed in my Blues/Funk/R&B group. www.smokingsectionband.com

Gary

17. MAJOR METAL

They truly are awesome amps , I am glad i have castors on this one its almost 100 LBS !

18. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    A pair of GS112 cab's makes a more back friendly rig. But it's more stuff to cart and set-up. There are Trade-offs for everything. I'd almost [prefer rolling a single 100lb combo. But after schlepping my 95lb Bergantino HT322 cabinet, as much as I love the sound, I have switched to smaller, more modular cabs that are lighter. e.g. Two Aguilar GS112's. Or the famed Bergie Mini-stack (HT112/EX112) But I do LOVE the aguilar sound as well.
    Gary

19. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Excellent combo:hyper:

I was using the AG500 thru my GS212 cab. I ended up trading the 500 for a Mesa 400+ to go with my Berg NV425.

I'm seriously considering saving up for another AG500 for a medium size rig.... I also really miss that head.... light and loud!!!

Enjoy.

20. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i have the ag500-112 combo and a gs112nt i use for a practice rig and it is amazing. i really don't know if the ag series are worth the money for what they are (yhe db series are perfect). 750 watts would make the price eaiser to handle. 500 is right at the not quite enough power for my main rig (i use 2 stewart 2.1's and a db680).