Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new amp is doing something odd....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bennet Pullen, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not sure if this should go in amps or basses but I think amps so I will put it here, if it's wrong it can be moved.

I got a new rig a few weeks ago, it's an Eden WT-400 driving an SWR Henry the 8x8. With my fretted bass this rig is amazing. Tons of power, great tone, just how I like it. My fretted bass is some weird bastard Warwick. I says It's a Corvette Proline, but it's passive not active, and the woods are different.

When I plug my fretless into the amp however it is a completely different animal. The low notes (from about G on my E string down to low B) are extremely loud, and clip the preamp, but the high notes are fairly quiet. At first I figured my pickups were too low on the high strings, but the balance isn't bad on other amps. My fretless is a Warwick streamer stage II, so it's active but I am adjusting the gain on the amp accordingly when I switch so that shouldn't matter.

If I turn the gain down to the point where the preamp is not clipping on the fretless it has a bit less percieved volume than my fretted on the low notes, and alot less on the high notes.

Do I just need to sit down with my amp and tweak the settings till I can make up for the difference or is there something wrong here?

2. I think I'd tend to give a little more attention to the bass (instrument) end of this equation.

3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    the reason a asked here is because I never had that problem with my old amp, switching between basses was no big deal.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    DId your old amp have a built-in limiter? Maybe the bass always did this, but the limiter hid it? I would too look at the bass. Check the pickups for adjustment. You could also try changing the strings.

Are you running the SWR flat?

5. Check your bass first. Sounds to me that you might have to adjust your pickups and/or action

6. If the controls are similar to a wt550, try pulling the gain knob out, this sets the preamp for an active bass. If that doesn't do it, try using the eq.

John