1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Amp..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Well I got finally saved up enough and got the all tube head i've been asking about for a while now. Despite the recent result in the poll i made a few days ago, my trip to nyc landed me with this monster.

[​IMG]

i honestly could not be any happier with it. I walked around the to some of the bigger music store in nyc yesteray (but not the sadowsky shop :( ) and after going to guitar center, mannys, scamcash, and finally rudys. I walked in asked it i could play out of it, and for once they were really nice to me, gave my the paul mccartney ric to play out of, play it for about 15 minutes and told him i would take it.

This thing really is a monster, it has the best all around tone ive ever heard, and its the tone that i've been looking for since i started. And anyone that thinks that only 200 watts isnt loud enough, please go try one and crank it up. I'm going to try and take some better pictures of it later today, and my entire rig, cus i need a new family shot.

but yea, great head for a killer price. I think everyone should at least try an orange.

P.S. - Hopefully macahan is proud of me... AD200 Mafia. lol

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    What Mesa cab are you playing it through? How's the overdrive?

More pictures! Congrats!!

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    :hyper:

You're the man!

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    awesome rig..congrats on a great head!!!

5. I'm running through a powerhour 2x10 and 1x15.
    I really like the overdrive on it, no need fo a pedal if you were buying the pedal to always leave it on.

and more pictures will come latertoday or tomorrow.

thanks

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yeah, congrats! And of course 200 watts of tube power is much much different that 200 watts of SS, but you know that!

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Anybody ever taken a meter and actually proved this?

8. a meter i guess would prove "the myth" scientifically but once you have a 700 watt SS and a 200 watt All Tube like i just did... you notice.... the orange would EAT the swr like it was nothing

the volume shouldnt even be considered for comparison.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Agreed.

10. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Very nice, Congrats.

I am in serious need of an upgrade from my current setup.

Just curious, how much did it set you back?

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    200W tube has a percieved volume much higher than than of an equivalent SS amp, generally speaking. I find it's plenty for every gig I've ever needed, especially when paired with an efficient cab.

PinkTelephone:
    Nice head, looks like you bought the thing new. Is that right?

You hint that you got a good deal on it, I'm curious what you shelled out for it.

Enjoy!

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    That is a nice looking amp, and I bet it sounds fabulous. Congratulations!

13. $1590.. after tax and everything $1700 and yea Ibz it was brand new.

everyother store besides rudys wanted over $2000

i just realized my Horrid grammer when seamonkey quoted me, so i fixed it in the Original post.

14. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll admit, I'm jealous. I've always loved Orange gear. Especially the AD200. I've only played through one once, and I've been thinking about it ever since.

15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    That head is next on ly list. Congrats!

16. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Pretty good deal on a great amp.

Yeah I had a hard time understanding what you were saying then until now. It happens to me too when I type fast. :smug:

17. Very nice! Did you get to try out a SVT-CL? (I think that was the other amp you were looking at) I have never been able to play an Orange, but have heard one live and man did it sound good! And that price is a steal!

18. yea i tried out the Svt-Cl and i'll admit i liked it alot, but i couldnt make it sound like the orange, it was too heavey, and it was more money.. it just wasnt all around as good as the orange i dont think, and i couldnt get a nice overdrive/distortion out of it.

You guys really should look into getting one when the time comes to get a new amp, the ad200 really backs up all the hype behind it.

19. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm planning on it. My plan is to do something Matt Rubano-esque (he uses an Aguilar DB750 and Ampeg SVT through 2 GS412s). I'll be going the AD200 route instead of the SVT. I'm already looking at some. It's a matter of the finances for me really.

20. Congrats on the new amp.

I voted for the SVT in your other thread, because Ive played both, and the SVT is just a better amp for my situation.

However, the Orange is flat out KILLER, and I know that youll enjoy the heck out of it.