1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trevorus, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I bought it from Bryan R. Tyler, here on TB. It's a Carvin R1000. He sold it for a really fantastic price. It needed some repair (and still needs some trim around the edges), but it is functional. This thing is really dark and warm sounding. I am used to my GK, so I am used to bright and snappy. This thing has a LOT of options. Built in compressor, tube/solid state preamp, Graphic and 3 band (with semi-parametric mid) EQ's. And, it's got some power. I have yet to be able to use it all, but we'll see what happens soon enough.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sweet dude. Let's see it.

-Mike

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    [​IMG]

There you go. All 3 of my amplifiers.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks Trev. Both of those Carvins look nice. It's cool to have options when it comes to amplification.

-Mike

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

that's a cool Carvin you got there ...

one suggestion ...
    you might want to dab a little " white-out" on the red knobs at the center points .

i found that the red is very hard to see under stage lighting , and the
    white dots help for quick reference points .... :D

peace,
    david

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The bottom carvin is a tube guitar combo, heavily modified by me. I changed the tone stack on the drive channel, pulled out some clipping diodes (making it truly ALL TUBE), and some other fun stuff. I added what's called and "attitude" control.

I just went to Radioshack to get some 1/4" cable ends to make some speaker cables for this setup. It'll be interesting to see what the thousand watts actually sounds like.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, that amp looks familiar.....:D

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet amps. I have an R600 that I absolutely love. Never had any problems with it and it sounds great. They get bashed on TB. Some people have had issues with reliability and others think they sound "sterile" but not me. This is the best amp I have ever heard, IMO. Congrats on the purchase.

P.S. I REALLY want a Bel-Air combo!

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The nomad is a 112 version of the bel-air. I bought mine with a bum reverb tank for 300. It's fantastic.

BTW, I could never call this thing sterile. They really have a round sounding top end. But, with the high boost, the sparkle comes right through. I may have to get an 18 to use the biamp feature.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I do want to get a new tube for the preamp. It's not that distinguishable from the SS preamp. I want 2 distinct voices. It's currently a Groove Tubes 12ax7 (not a rebranded sovtek). Any suggestions? I was thinking either Ei or ElectroHarmonix.

11. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i wish i could remember which tube was in the r600 i used to have, it had the same problem regarless of the knob setting, the tone NEVER changed :confused:

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It was probably the stock sovtek. I am probably going to go with something with a longer plate structure, to see what happens.

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah. My suggestion would be to try a few and see what you like. I don't have a tube in my pre, so I can't really give you any help. My R600 is "Series III", which has a tube emulation circuit instead of a real tube. There seems to be a noticable difference between the "tube" and SS sides, though. Good luck.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm thinking I may go with a 12at7 or something similar. Something with a bit more warm and less gain... We'll see what happens.

Anyone else own one of these? What do you think of it?

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think that's a lot of knobs and buttons. Rock on.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Definitely. And I actually kind of like the internal compressor. You juse have to find the right setting for it.

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Oh, that was good.

I just came back from practice, and that thing was Boom City. Sounded fantabulous. It spoke like thunder. I can't wait until I have a gig that I can use the whole stack...