My New Arrival........Ricky fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crested Radish, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Just thought I'd share this with you all, my new arrival - its a '79 4001 fretless.

They can't have made many of these guys in lefty.

I brought it unseen and unplayed, I'm amazed at the condition it's in.
  2. beautiful! enjoy her!
  3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Very cool axe! I've never seen a fretless Rick before. I like the choice of black nylon tapewounds for fretless too! I'll bet she purrs like a minx.

4. mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    cool! i'd love to hear how it sounds - i don't suppose you could post a sound sample, can you?

i'm a huge rick fan - yet i've never owned one. one day, man, one day. . .

enjoy - i'm very envious of you! post more pics if you can.
  5. I will try for some sound samples, but can't guarantee the timeframe...I'm basically living in a half renovated house, and am about to go on Hols. for a month so I have, shall we say, organisational issues :meh:

I had no idea what to expect tone wise, I've got a 4003 fretted and its absolutely nothing like it. very very warm.
  6. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Cool. Did you buy it from the Bass Gallery in London? - I know they had a lefty fretless Rick and there can't be that many:cool:

I play a conventional 4003, but my fretless is a Washburn I'm beginning to think about upgrading - love to hear you get on with yours.
  7. teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    nice. I recommend trying out a scatterwound reissue toaster pickup in the neck position, they have a great warmth and more extended lows and highs than the high gain pickup, all qualities that would be welcome in a fretless I would think. They're $100 us, well worth it IMO.
  8. Got it from Rics'R'Us - great outfit, but by all accounts it came from the USA.

I was hugely concerned about being able to play in tune, but after an hour or so in, it really doesn't seem to be that much of a problem (although I could be tone deaf). Unlike other fretless basses I've seen, the dot markers on the edge of the fingerboard are where every fret would be, and this really helps (Not cheating I hope).

I think there could be a grounding issue with the tapewounds though, on my 4003 there is a bit of a buzz if I am not in contact with either the strings, bridge etc...doesn't apply to tapewounds.
  9. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *soils my panties*
  10. My very first "real" bass was a '77 fretless ricky 4001. I'm getting verklempt and misty just looking at yours. I and everyone who touched it loved the way it played and mine had incredible mwwahh. I wasn't knocked out by the pups, but they did the job.
    Mine met a fateful end. I loaned it to a friend who became seriously ill, by the time the bass was returned the neck was cracked! You can't really fix that, though I and my wallett tried.
    Great find.
  11. nice score!!...I used to own a fretless 4001 jetglo..I don't recall any hum problems for the short time I left the tapewounds on the bass. I bought it brand new in "87"(it comes from the factory with tapewounds,and for a good reason),If possible,I reccomend staying with tapewounds or(at the very least)flat wounds..I DO NOT reccomend using roundwounds..unless you want to destroy the finish on the fingerboard...thats exactly what I did :( the varnish is not tough enough to withstand the abuse. the roundwounds act like files and just grind away :eek: the time I was after a "Chris Squire fretless" kinda sound,needless to say I never achieved it and destroyed a beautiful finger board in the process :oops: ..
  12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sweet bass! I can't remember ever seeing a lefty fretless Ric, and it looks great to boot.

Did anyone here purchase a righty 1978 burgundyglo fretless on Ebay several months ago? I wish that one was mine...would've matched my clean 1978 BG fretted one. :crying: