My new Avatar B212!!! (My first cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Dec 29, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I just got this thing this morning and hooked it up to my 1001rb-II..........:)

This thing is very cool. It is suprisingly light and moderatly easy to carry, it would be a breeze with two people.
    It can go lower than whale poo. The highs are very nice.
    The tweeter sounds good but it has HORRIBLE hiss. The Avatar cab is LOUD. When my mom goes to work, I'm going to crank this thing.

It is my first cab so I was a bit caught off gaurd when I saw the porting slots making empty soda cans lying on the floor dance.

Later on, I hooked it up to my BP200 which made tons of hiss along side my noisy Squier. But it sounded great. The distortion from this pedal just sounds massive. I'm am so happy that I actually have a REAL bass amp rig now.

It's going to be killer when I hook up with a drummer or play a show so I can unleash this rigs' full potential. But I really need a new bass an a noise suppressor really bad.

HELL YES................
  2. Congrats - your first big rig?
  3. Sweet!!! Thats a nice rig.
  4. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

YES.Hell yes this is my first rig and you will remeber that because I demand it and I demand it because *I* am the master......BISNACTH!! hah just messing with you

Yes it is.
  5. Always wondered how that was spelled :) Have fun - big speakers rule :)
  6. Great cab, use one with my SVT-CL and have gotten lots of compliments because of this rig. Very good substitute for my recently sold 610hlf.

Now go to the nearest hardware store and get some decent casters and some wood screws. You'll thank me later.
  7. You have made an excellent choice for a fist big rig cabinet. This is a versitile and solid cab so go ahead and crank it up.

Were you able to hear one of these cabs before you bought one or was it TB that talked you into it?
  8. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

1. Yes, you TB boys did play a large part

2. All the reviews at Harmony Central

3. That value for like 321 bucks

Other from that I just needed something that I can rely on and not have to break my wallet or my back for and something that was sturdy,reliable, sounded atleast halfway good and could go from bed room practices to small arena shows. This rig is killer and I recommened it to just about anyone who is in the situation I was in a few weeks ago.
    That feeling "God I wish I could get a new amp and leave this crappy little combo for good......uuuuhhhhhhhgggggg......."
    is no more. And it is only a matter of hours untill I really see how loud this mother can go. Man, what a relief........

ALL you TB guys have my thanks for your opinions on this cab, that got me interested in looking/finding what would be my first real bass cab and I'm happy with my decision.

One more thing, there was this one time I was jamming with this drummer and this guitarist. We were playing this thing and, those two over took me. I purposly stopped playing in the middle of it. I didn't hear or feel a difference, and that just felt disapointing. That's what pushed me to start saving for a new amp rig to begin with. Just a bit of honesty there.
  9. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    You might try turning the tweeter down and see if that eliminates some of the hiss....
  10. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Great cab at a great price. Have gotten good comments from other bassplayers on the sound and dispersion. I 2d the casters.
  11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You shouldn't crank the amp into that cab yet until you've put some serious playing time into it so you don't blow or crease the speakers. Speakers have "break-in periods" just like a car's engine. Give it a couple days then hammer it.
  12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A couple of your comments mentioned terrible hiss. This need not be the can be controlled by how you set the horn and amp. I have a 700RB and CB112 rig that's fairly quiet.

1. Set horn to barely doesn't take much.

2. Balance how much you use the amp's three gain stages...try to start with volume, boost and master around noon.

3. Be sure the Woofer button is will add a bit of hiss and there's no need with a full range cab (the tweeter amp isn't used with this cab either).

4. Set the contour knob below noon and try not to boost any of the EQ knobs more than 2 o'clock.

Oh, and i'd recommend adding a set of casters for moving the cab around on your will decouple the cab from the floor slightly, which can actually be helpful on hollow stages that tend to phase-cancel part of your low notes.
  13. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Wow...didn't take you long after the purchase of the GK to get the Avatar cab.

What I would have done for a rig like that at your age.

14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Congrats, i too chose avatar for my first big rig. It all started off with a B115H....then a B210 delta to add some highs, and then since i wanted options a B212. Now? I use the 2X12 the most, haven't tried matching it with just 1 of the other cabs. For show band [pep band at other schools] i stack them all just for giggles. :) Enjoy the avatar as it will provide for many many many enjoyabe times.
  15. Tell you what, when you finally do crank your rig up it will sound the balls. The first gig I did with my B212 back in September I remember standing on stage and not just hearing my bass but FEELING it too!!! I'm running 300 watts thru it and I'm still loud as anything. I also use an MXR Bass DI+ with my rig and when I kick that thing it's like rolling thunder. Think about one of those as your next purchase. It's a DI, an active EQ and a distortion box all in one.

I'll never play another gig without one.