1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new axe is a Five string Custom Jan Knooren.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blazer, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    fivestring.

It took me a lot of hours to built but here she is. Cherry body with a solid flamed maple top, Haussel MM humbucker, two band EQ, active/Passive push pull switch, Rio Rosewood fingerboard, Schaller and ABM hardware.

I hope you guys dig it.

It'll be on our stand on the Frankfurter Music Fair.

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Beutiful burst and finish. Nice bass.

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I dig it. That's a great pickup and I'd bet that sounds sweet.

Marshall

4. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    My intention was to have a bass similar to a Musicman Stingray but with simpler electronics and a glued in neck.

The resulting bass has a very long sustain and the pickup can sound really piano-like bright (although not as metallic bright as a Modulus) The low end of the bass also is clear enough to cut right through the mix.

The funny thing was, the day that I collected my bass from our workshop, there was somebody there with his five string Alembic Mark King Bass and he was complaining about the bass having the perfect sound for doing that solo stuff King is known for but fails misarably in providing low end to support the band (I guess this is also the reason why King's basslines are doubled with synths) My boss said "now try this one." and he handed over my bass and the guy was blown away on how much physical low end the bass provided.

The guy was really getting into my bass until I intercepted him and told him "Sorry but that one is NOT for sale."

5. some time ago, I went to read the review from Mr Motohiko Hamase upon his 6er, on the Knooren website and it made me gas (once again)
    Congrats for your bass

6. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Interesting place to put the logo. Sweet looking bass.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Blazer, could you email me a price list...or if there isn't a list, about how much a bass like yours would cost?

Thanks!
    Marshall

8. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You'd have to think in the 2500 to 3000 bucks range (depending on how much work we'll have to put in.)

Still they are cheaper than a Fodera.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice! i like the finish on that. how wide is that string spacing?

10. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands

The normal Jazz bass spacing. Jan's personal Bass has a wider Precision Bass spacing, which is also on our options list.

11. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I like the vertical knobs and the logo on the front ...nice work

12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    The knobs totally work, but I'm not a fan of the logo placement. I was always conservative with the idea that the headstock is the place for the name/logo. It looks real nice, though!