Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Axe !!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Apr 9, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey everybody,

I finally bought a new axe.

It`s an Esh Stinger (used). I got it for $500 (list price: $1600).

[​IMG]

I wanted to write a short review, so here it is.

<b>Body</b>

The Body is made in a somehow wicked look, but I still think its cool, especially as a Metal / Rock Bass. The Body is made of Ash, finished in Black, and then equiped with an Airbrush Picture.
    The bass isn`t very heavy, it hangs very good, even as the strap buttons are placed in wired locations.

<b>Neck</b>

The Neck of the Stinger - is one of the best necks I have ever played. It even beats my Sadowsky Standard Four. Very thin and fast - everything is possible - from Heavy Metal riffs, to Flea-Style Slapping.
    The Nut is made of Ebony, what is not very common, but works very well.

Also, the ESH-U.C. Bolt-On Technique is great ! The bass combines the best of both, bolt-on and neck-thru techniques.

<b>Pickup</b>

The Bass is equiped with Two J Style Kent Armstrong Custom-Wound ESX Pickups. And all I can say is they growl like hell. I like them better than the Sadowskys.

<b>Onboard Esh-Tronic E.Q.</b>

Again, all thumbs up for esh! The ESH-Tronic is by far the greatest E.Q. I have ever encountered. Selectable Possibilities are:

a) Active Passive / Piezo combinations
    1.) Passive
    2.) Passive & Piezo
    3.) Studio (Pickups direct)
    4.) Active & Piezo

b) Pickup combinations

1.) Bridge PU
    2.) Pickups Parallel
    3.) Pickups Seriell
    4.) SweetSpot (Bridge + 80% Neck Pu).

I liked the SweetSpot Pickups together with Passive & the Piezo best for slapping - sounds great. The other ones are all pretty similar, but I just play for 3 Years, so I may not be able to hear the differences.

<b>Conclusion</b>

I would say: A great buy.

Neck: 4.5 / 5
    Tone: 5 / 5
    Versatility: 5/5
    Overall: 4.5/5

---------

Comments are welcome !

David

2. David, I posted this very quickly, just so I could officially be the first to congratulate you at this forum. That's some wild paint job.

Enjoy it!

Mike J.

3. sweet paint job man.

4. Seems very cool. I'm not a big fan of J pups but that's just me. Cool buy man.

5. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I´m at the moment thinking about replacing the pickups - but maybe later. I´m suffering from extreme G.A.S. And I want the next bass - this time the five string - maybe DP Custom will make it for me...

David

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Nice score...congrats!

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It´s cool! Cool paint job :)

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    $500. Not bas for a used toothbrush. I'm proud of you, kid.

Will C.:cool:

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is it just me...or does everybody have a better and cooler bass than me? Oh well...Warmoth...If I build it; wait, that would sound bad!;) I'm waiting for the dough for a Warmoth 5er baby...

10. send that pic straight to bunnybass! :D

congrats