My New Axe !!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Apr 9, 2001.

1. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey everybody,

I finally bought a new axe.

It`s an Esh Stinger (used). I got it for $500 (list price: $1600).

I wanted to write a short review, so here it is.

The Body is made in a somehow wicked look, but I still think its cool, especially as a Metal / Rock Bass. The Body is made of Ash, finished in Black, and then equiped with an Airbrush Picture.
    The bass isn`t very heavy, it hangs very good, even as the strap buttons are placed in wired locations.

The Neck of the Stinger - is one of the best necks I have ever played. It even beats my Sadowsky Standard Four. Very thin and fast - everything is possible - from Heavy Metal riffs, to Flea-Style Slapping.
    The Nut is made of Ebony, what is not very common, but works very well.

Also, the ESH-U.C. Bolt-On Technique is great ! The bass combines the best of both, bolt-on and neck-thru techniques.

The Bass is equiped with Two J Style Kent Armstrong Custom-Wound ESX Pickups. And all I can say is they growl like hell. I like them better than the Sadowskys.

<b>Onboard Esh-Tronic E.Q.</b>

Again, all thumbs up for esh! The ESH-Tronic is by far the greatest E.Q. I have ever encountered. Selectable Possibilities are:

a) Active Passive / Piezo combinations
    1.) Passive
    2.) Passive & Piezo
    3.) Studio (Pickups direct)
    4.) Active & Piezo

b) Pickup combinations

1.) Bridge PU
    2.) Pickups Parallel
    3.) Pickups Seriell
    4.) SweetSpot (Bridge + 80% Neck Pu).

I liked the SweetSpot Pickups together with Passive & the Piezo best for slapping - sounds great. The other ones are all pretty similar, but I just play for 3 Years, so I may not be able to hear the differences.

I would say: A great buy.

Neck: 4.5 / 5
    Tone: 5 / 5
    Versatility: 5/5
    Overall: 4.5/5

Comments are welcome !

2. David, I posted this very quickly, just so I could officially be the first to congratulate you at this forum. That's some wild paint job.

Enjoy it!

Mike J.
  3. Seems very cool. I'm not a big fan of J pups but that's just me. Cool buy man.
  4. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I´m at the moment thinking about replacing the pickups - but maybe later. I´m suffering from extreme G.A.S. And I want the next bass - this time the five string - maybe DP Custom will make it for me...

5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Nice score...congrats!
  6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It´s cool! Cool paint job :)
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    $500. Not bas for a used toothbrush. I'm proud of you, kid.

Will C.:cool:
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Is it just me...or does everybody have a better and cooler bass than me? Oh well...Warmoth...If I build it; wait, that would sound bad!;) I'm waiting for the dough for a Warmoth 5er baby...
  9. send that pic straight to bunnybass! :D