1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MY NEW AXE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theleteri, Sep 13, 2008.

1. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    Well after over 2 months of hard-core searching and playing everything i could get my hands on i had decided on the Lakland Darryl Jones 4 string. I was able to find one for 43% off retail. Then i found this! this was the one! it was half the price of the Lakland, made of the same material and is far more unique. only 100 of them were made and i met the guy who made mine... he is the owner of the company. The brand is UNO... it is a Korean band is extremely successful in korea. i am not too sure how many people know about UNO in the states but apparently a guy from Powerman 5000 plays one.

Specks

34" scale
    21 frets
    mother of pearl block inlays
    swamp ash body
    one piece maple neck
    rosewood finger-board
    brass nut
    Tesla pick-ups
    Gotoh bridge
    passive electronics: volume, volume, tone
    slightly longer head-stock to add more tension to the stings
    Black flat paint finish (you can still see and feel the grain)
    4 bolt neck, custom fit with NO gaps (sweet!)
    P-bass body
    j-bass neck (actually slightly skinnier)
    thin neck profile
    nice fingerboard radius

This monster has great tone that cuts thought the mix... even the drummer noticed (we all know that drummers are not REAL musicians... hehehe) it has a fantastic range and a lot more and better presence than my Dean.

any questions, just ask

let me know what you all think!

Attached Files:

• tb1.
      tb1.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
    • tb2.
      tb2.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    That headstock looks like a vulture's head!!!!:)

3. Big Rich

Big Rich

Jul 25, 2008
    St. Louis
    Great score. I dig the pearloid guard and blocks always look great. Congrats!

4. tinder

tinder

Apr 29, 2008
    Dundee, Scotland
    That headstock does nothing for the rest of the bass...it's awful looking, the headstock that is.

5. I kind of like the oversized eagle headstock. Reminds of those old univox carved guitars (with the top horn carved to look like an eagle)... also a bit aggressive like a bc rich or something... unusual and wacky. Looks cool!

6. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    i was a little weary of the head-stock myself but the tone won me over... i know it has only been a day that i have had it but my dean's head-stock looks tinny to me now.

7. Well, except weigh it down at the wrong side.

8. Congrats man, enjoy your new bass :D

9. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I dig it! Sounds like the neck is my style.

Next time you talk to the owner tell him to flesh out the bass section of his website. There is nothing there and the dealers don't have sites and/or pictures either.

10. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    That tone in Powerman 5000's song 'standing 8' is out of this world. If you can get anything near that with this bass you've just found the find of the century.

Great buy!

11. The headstock is a beast and I love it. Does the bass feel balanced?

12. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    the headstock is a little heavy... it does have some neck-dive but no more than a fender. it only took me 10 min. of playing to get used to it and now i don't notice it. i was thinking of putting lighter tuners on it but i think i will just keep the ones on there... everything works so well together, i don't want to mess anything up.

i still can't get over the tone and tone range. when i would turn the one of the volumes down on the lakland or the fender there would be a slight buzz through the amp and the descending volume was not even. with the UNO there is no buzz and the volume changes smoothly. i am VERY IMPRESSED and am happy with my decision!

13. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    BTW: the headstock looks a little smaller in real life... the angle of the pic does shrink the body a little.

14. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Congrats

15. theleteri

theleteri

Aug 9, 2008
    Here is an update on pix and performance.

I love the tone i get out of this beast! i have put D'Addario flat wounds (.045-.100 gauge) on her and messed with her knobs and have found her true voice. good lord she sounds GORGEOUS! (neck volume up all the way, bridge volume 1/4 up and tone all the way up.)

I have changed her accessories some... gave her new knobs (chrome with black pearl inlays) and a Jazz bass pickup cover (i do not like the size of the p-bass cover.) I would love to get the heart shaped tuning pegs that some older ibanez's have but it is impossible to find anyone that would like to part with them.

here are the updated pix!
    PICT0275.
    PICT0267.
    PICT0266-1.
    PICT0274.
    PICT0276.
    PICT0272.