Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new axe...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...is not an axe at all!

It's a melodica! Half harmonica, half accordion.

I always wanted to play a melodic wind instrument like trumpet or saxophone but this will keep the beast fed.

It's really easy to play, provided you have some keyboard knowledge. It's also a great learning tool for practicing treble clef reading.

[​IMG]

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I just bought a concertina for $2.50. Best purchase I've ever made, in terms of a cost/fun ratio. :D

How much did your melodica set you back? Looks like fun.

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It definitely is fun, Superduck.

I wasn't looking for a toy, however. The purchase was inspired by Hermeto Pascoal, one of my musical idols. I got the same model he uses.

[​IMG]

The melodica pictured in my previous post cost a little over $100 (They list for $300). I bought it the same day I had an identical one delivered to me by UPS, except that the one pictured is newer and cleaner. My older melodica (which I'll keep at school) cost a little over $120.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used to be a guy named Kurt Massey who played one of those on his musical variety show on TV ... Perry Como era stuff. Yeee HAW!

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've always liked the sound of the Melodica. Nice, small, simple instrument with a rich sound. First time I ever noticed one in music was John Mellencamp's The Lonesome Jubilee album. That's a nice pop album by the way with a lot of rootsy sounding songs and instrumentation.

brad cook

6. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    YEAH! I bought one of those form musicyo.com they are extremely fun to play with. My purchase was inpired by Ben FOLds.

ohh and mine cost only $30!!! check them out at ww.musicyo.com

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You mean this model?

[​IMG]

I don't know why, but I just don't see myslf performing a jazz tune onstage with one of those. They should make them in black.

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hah finally.. someones copying me!
    nice melodica blackbird
    ..whats it like.. and *** does it do?!?!
    i have an acordian.. i can actually play it..
    I play lots of polka!
    Specially old school gangsta polka..
    I just get down and groove on the jack move with my Lederhosen!

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my brother has played melodica for a long time. actually shreds some serious shiz on it too - many a horn player has been sent home with tail between his legs.

too bad he keeps breaking them. his first was a hohner that one of the keys snapped, the other was a japanese one that someone sat on.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO!:D:D:D

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Nice try, Kiddo, but you ain't Hermeto (and I got the pictures to prove it)

It's like the right hand part of a keyboard accordion.
    As far as what it does (mind the language, kid), the question should be what doesn't it do?

Hah finally..someone's copying my mom!

You must be a riot.

When will you go on the road?

12. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    cool ill have to check out a melodica =D
    they sounds very intresting.

About the tour.. maybe i can open for Eminem..or maybe weird al!

I did a polka version.. of straight out of compton..

"yo..fool straight out of compton.. crazy little dude with an acordian.. cause im playing polka.. like it was out of style. I just sit there with my acordian and rhyme in the cypha' ..yo..screw rats.. im the real pide piper... Im a rhyme vipah' who comes from the land.. bustin a cap in yo ass with an acordian in my hand. WORD TO YOUR MOTHER!"

i think.. next im gonna get someone to shave a small small shape of an acordian in my eyebrow and get dye my hair White and black to represent the keys i use to express the beauty of my instrument...

I should really do this..btw.. it might be fun! =D
    I have access to a studio all year round :) :cool:

13. The keyboardist of the Jacob Fred Jazz odyssey uses one of those, I believe. Anyone heard them?