Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new baby...Dingwall AB-5 in blueberry...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jay, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Here she is folks...my new arrival! Had to share my joy with you all. I also have to give major thanks to Gard for making this all possible. After staying up for 36 hours straight, he sweet-talked me into splurging and taking a chance...once I got some sleep, I realized what had happened ( :eek: )... I had made the BEST.PURCHASE.EVER.

:D

[​IMG]

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I LOVES that color!!!

Congrats!!! :D

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    congrats man. I love dingwalls, and yes, I've actually played to of them in my life, so I'm not just going on looks.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Jay, you're going to have to bring that thing by the house sometime when you're in B-mont. Of course, I'll have my full rig stacked up and ready to rattle the neighborhood...

Congrats on the new acquisition!

:D

5. Hey, that looks like a great bass. I also am a sucker for Dingwall basses. That's a great colour too. Congrats!! Pretty good value, would you say?

Geoff

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice, I like those.
    Congrats.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    And the moral of this little story:

Resistance is futile, you will be bassimilated!

;)

Jay, I'm very happy to hear I helped you choose the right bass for you, based on what you'd been telling me you were looking for.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i saw one in bass central this weekend but i was afraid if i pulled it down and played it i would have to buy it..then goes my car...with no new motor

aahhh the hell with it

steve

9. Awesome bass.....blueberry-Yummy
    You'll love the Afterburners. They play great, sound great, and have all the features of Sheldons high end basses for less than 1/2 the price.

Gotta love those FD-1 pickups, i've not found a pickup so ballsy, yet articulate
    Great score
    frank

10. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    :D Thank ya, thank ya...

secretMarky - Yes indeed, I'll be heading your way sometime. This baby's gonna blow the roof off! :)

Geoff - This is the best decision I could've made...plus good ole Gard gave me a heckuva good deal.

Gard - You're a rascal...a bass pimp, go-to man, etc. But you rock. Thanks!

FCM3 - Yes indeed, these pickups are incredible. It's as if I can hear people say, "WOW! That note sounds so great that I'm gonna go kick someone in the face." It's that good.

:) :D I'm a happy, happy man.

11. Jay:
    i'm not sure the notes will cause a bunch of face kicking, but the setup, electronic and pickups really shine on these basses.

I've has both a Bart equipped and a FD-1 equipped Afterburner and its night and day as far as tone, The FD-1 are more aggressive, growly, and just plain cut thru. The Barts were very polite, barky and lets say vanilla. They worked well, but the bass comes alive w/ the FD-1 tone.

So how long did it take you to get used to the Novaxs board?
    What do you think of the BluEQube circuit.
    Lastly, its hard to believe these are passive basses

frank

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Jay - You gotta 'nother package by the door, you'll be all set by early next week! :D

...bass pimp, yeah, I like that one! :cool:

Frank - You're right on the money: The FD-1 pickups are just amazing. I like Bartolini's, have them in two of my basses (Lakland, Zon), and they work perfectly with them. But the comparision between the FD-1's in the Afterburners and the Bart's in a student/co-worker/fellow TBer's (Dirty Road Cola/Neal) Z2 is night & day. He's actually thinking about buying a set of the FD-1's and replacing the Barts with them, and I think it's a good idea.

...I just talked to Sheldon a little bit ago, he's shipping a couple basses to us, I'm very excited to try out the ABII-6 that's on the way! :D He's talkin' it up, just what I need is ANOTHER case of incurable GAS...workin' at BC is hazardous to your bank account, folks! :eek:

;)

13. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Frank - My main band is a hardcore band with an intense stage show...lots of people get kicked in the face. ;) Ask Secret-Marky, he's been; isn't that right? (I do not condone crowd violence...I stay up on stage and hit my bandmates :D)

Anyway, the Novax fretboard didn't really cause a problem at all, it feels very natural. I did hit a bit of a roadblock on a certain song the first gig I played with her, but it was over and done with by the second. And the bluEQube is great! I absolutely love the tonal diversity of the bass. Wonderfully full tone with a big nasty bite, smoove mocha frappe kinda sound, cream cheese on a bagel sound...you name it, she can do it. :D

Gard - You da man. You need a nice hat with a feather though. You already have a kickin vest. Oooh, a cane too. And a sweet car to carry around your girls in. :cool:

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think I just shorted out my keyboard from drooling so much.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Howz 'bout a purple velour hat with a nice big white ostrich feather, gold cane, and a '73 Caddy De Ville stretch limo - white, gold trim & rims, red velvet interior.

:cool:

Anyone seen Huggy Bear????

(Hey, did you know that the son of "Huggy Bear"/Antonio Fargas is a running back for the Oakland Raiders! :D)

Phil - I recommend one of those keyboard cover thingys...saved mine on numerous occassions, but we won't discuss that here! :eek:

;)

16. Neal's Z2 is my old one. I would definitely switch the pickups in it (if I still had it I would). I have the FD-1s in my Prima 6 and they are much hotter and have a more aggressive tone than the Barts. I don't believe Sheldon uses the Barts anymore, it is the Aguilar and FD-1 setup on the high end basses.

geoff

17. I fully agree Geoff, those FD-1 are it.
    I've had soundmen ask me to turn down the bass becuz they think I'm running active pickups w/ those passive FD-1.

Whats I find interesting is when i've spoken to Sheldon in regard to the FD-1s (IIRC) he claims they used a 62 jazz bass down the street from his shop as a tone reference to make those FD-1s. I also believe he told me that the FD-1s make his basses sound more fender-like than ever before. Hum, maybe,maybe not.
    I personally have never heard a fender jazz bass sound anything like this, But I'm glad he's making these pickups and i would highly recommend to anyone w/ Bart p'up in their Dingwall to do the swap. I believe the upgrade is USD $300/pr +bluEQube.
    Can't wait to find out what the FD2 sound like

Jay -do you really want to bring an expensive bass to a gig where people kick each other in the face? do people jump up on stage and ever attack you as well? or did you buy the Dingwall becuz it has a pointy headstock which can be used as a weapon? :eek:
    Peace
    frank

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Wicked bass! I have always wanted a Dingwall. Maybe one day.....

19. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    No one ever attacks me...I'd bash the crap out of them (with the pointy headstock ;)). People do jump on stage and sing along at times, but no one has ever thrashed on stage. There's really nothing to worry about except hitting the singer with the bass...she'd be mad, plus she's a tiny gal, it'd probably put her out of commission. :D

So far I've only hit her once or twice (with my old bass), no injuries yet. :eek:

20. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    VERY cool bass!

Hmmm.... Dingwall + Blueberry = Dingleberry? :D