my new baby fell off its stand.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Hey guys, my new baby she fell off her stand, and I was woundering how can I check her for rabbies err cracks, or anything worse? When I walked in to my offcie their she was face down "string side down", but thank god the floor is a shag carpit I hope, she sounds fine I had to re tune her, and then again, Nothing seems loose or broken.
  2. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Relax, she'll be fine.
  3. Babies have to fall, or else they'll never learn to walk
  4. Btw to clearify shes a bass :p

and I dont know how on earth she fell? mybe I didnt set her in there that good in the first place?

Opps I get the walk part now d'uh Im such a putz.
  5. If it was on carpet I think that she should be fine. I've got a bad habbit of putting my bass's headstock into moving ceiling fans when strapping up (you'd think I'd learn, but it still happens often) and I havent gotten any cracks or anything that would damage playability, so I think a bass being knocked over on carpet would be fine.
  6. Thank you for making me feel better, I dont want a $700 BASS ruined you know.
  7. dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    the worst sound in the world is that noise when they hit the ground. kinda sounds like the whole revolution 9 from the white album condensed into the longest second of your life.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My American Jazz has fallen over and occasionally fallen face first without any damage onto hard stage boards. One night I lent it to the headliner we were playing with and it crashed to the ground mid song. No damage.

My vintage P has also visited the ground on occasion. There's no discernable damage, but then you probably couldn't tell through the wear anyway.
  9. i hate, when that happens. but, it does happen, to all of us.
    makes the heart skip a beat! gasp!! <look of horror on face>
    noooooooooo!!!!!, pick 'em up, dust off their pants(look for dings). lol
    i try to keep mine in the case. :cool:
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    My SR4 likes headbutting the ceiling fan and has a few character marks to show for it.

Only the first scratch hurts. The rest are just written off as honest wear and tear.
  11. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    You're not the only one. I've done that more times than I can count. It's fine for my $200 ESP, but once I am done building my fretless I will no longer let a ceiling fan run while playing.
  12. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    That's me. All three of mine have some sort of minor headstock ding from that.

...feeling better knowing I'm not the only one.
  13. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    it sucks when you watch it fall. you're like "OMGOSH STOP IT FROM FALLING!" but all you can do is stand and watch. and then cringe when it finally hits.
  14. Ouch! I had my basses on a double stand once and when I went to take one off, the strap snagged the bottom of the stand and sent my Fender Jazz over sideways! Luckily I caught it in time, since it was headed dangerously close to the edge of my drummer's cymbal! Now THAT would have left a mark! Another "saviour" was the rubber thingee that straps across the neck to hold the bass in place. I highly recommend those "thingees"!

I think your "baby" will be just fine. Take a deep breath and give it plenty of "lovin'".:bassist:
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had a stage hand knock my Peavey Dyna-Bass 5 over when it was just a couple months old one time. Here it is 1988/89 and my band is playing at one of the biggest rock clubs around, and this kid trips and the shiny new bass goes -CLANG- right down on the strings!!!!!! He was so apologetic, I said something like "hey man, no problem, if I wanted it tobe perfect it would be sitting at home. Also, the stand was screwed up and didn't balance well, I shouldn't have been using it. You play out, stuff like this happens. No big deal". It was still in tune.
  16. A way to prevent this from happening again would be to put that strap that comes with the stand around the neck holder, that way it can't fall off.
  17. i know exactly how you feel man. i had my yamaha trb4II resting against the back of my futon/sofa. apparently i didnt rest it properly as the bass toppled sideways and the head impacted with the METAL arm of the sofa.:crying:
    it was the actual tuning key that struck the arm so no damage to the wood but i was sure i would have some cracks in the head. thankfully none have appeared to date...
    surely a testament to the quality of yamaha workmanship - at least on the top of the range basses...
  18. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I watched an anxious stage hand knock over my buddies Alembic off the stand one night. He pulled a cord that was under the stand and knocked it over face first, and into the stage. Luckily my buddy Ben was drunk and didnt care, and the bass was fine. I almost rang that roadies neck though myself.
  19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just be glad it isn't a Thunderbird (I'm assuming here, since you didn't say). Many Tbirds have had their headstocks or necks broken from falling off a stand. The combination of a huge, angled headstock and a small neck is deadly. One of my two birds has a neck repair from a previous owner.
  20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+1 ....

some people actually PAY to have their basses " vintaged " ,
    ... adding scratches , dings and such ...

stuff happens , get over it , and keep playing that bass ....