Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new baby...Ken Smith BSR7EG MD7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Craig Garfinkel, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well, I played an MD7 Melvin Davis signature 7 string at Ken Smith's booth at NAMM and new immediately I had to have one. I told Ken we'd talk soon so I could get an order in. Little did I know this beauty was already being finished, to be shipped to my favorite semi-local high end bass shop, G Guitars in New Haven CT. Ken did the final setup on this bass on January 28, just three days after my birthday and ten days after NAMM.

Every Smith bass I've ever owned or played has felt like it was made specifically for my hands (and ears). This one is, of course, no exception. In fact, it's the best-sounding and best-playing Smith ever. And that's saying quite a lot.

Thanks Ken, for your incredible craftsmanship. And thanks to Melvin too, for saying to Ken "I need just one more string Ken!"

:D

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Sheesh ! You go Boi !

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    very nice...any sound clips coming? :D

-jimbo

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I LOVE the quilt on that bass! That has to be one of the nicest looking Smiths I have seen! Man I wish you didn't post pics.......I can't afford one right now!

5. Very beautiful.
    I always regret selling my BT6G perhaps I'll have to save again.
    Have a lot of fun !

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Very nice! And with the seven tuning machines, the head wont look so smallish as with other KSs... ;)
    N-joy!

8. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Wow!!! That's beautiful. Congratulations.

Do you hear any difference in tone between the "flat-top" pickups as opposed to the exposed pole Smith pickups. I've seen alot of Smith 6 strings where the high C string didn't line up over the pole piece. I wish he offered those pickups on the 6.

9. Love that quilt, nice wood. Seems to be a great February for a lot of Talk Bassers. :D

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice. Congrats. I played one of Ken's 7's during the '03 NAMM and seriously considered buying it. String spacing is too wide for me but I liked the bass quite a lot. As is his practice, workmanship is top-notch. I've kept my BSR6 GN for a number of years while I've bought and sold many instruments. I figure any self-respecting bassist needs at least one Smith neck-through!

11. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I hear ya. The headstock on the MD7 really "fits" the bass.

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    And here's a view of the back. :cool:

13. I'm so incredibly jealous right now it's not even funny! ;)

The Smith 7 is one of the nicest 7's out there. Just an amazing bass.

Be proud of that one.

-Bernie

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One more pic and I get a serious attack of G.A.S.! :eek:
    :D :D

That is the nicest KS headstock so far... :cool:

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    The overall tone of this bass is deeper than my BSR6TN, but that's probably due more to this bass having a mahogany core with the maple top and back vs. the maple core and walnut top and back on the "Black Tiger".

On the other hand, the slap tone is slightly brighter and more defined, so go figure...certainly could be the pickups. Since I traded my Tiger in towards the MD7, which BTW means there's an absolutely killer bass available at G Guitars http://www.gguitars.com, I can't A/B it for you and give more of a definitive answer.

The tone is incredibly even all across and up and down the bass. But I've found that to be true of all the KS basses I've had.

16. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Better have the Febreeze handy...cause here it comes!

17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Gorgeous! Congrats on the new Smith!

18. That is just beautiful....

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice score - every 7 string smith i've played has been consistently well made, good sounding and beautiful to look at. i'm sure you're going to be very happy with it :)

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You are evil, you know... Ouch! GAS hurts

So you say mahagony core, huh? Then deep and clear. maybe this will kick the Wal from the first place of my GAS/wishlist... :bawl:
    My current uni grants arent enough, I need to get more summer jobs and win more scholarships! but till then: :bawl:

What a beautiful thing to ruin my day with! ;)

:D