Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new baby - Wal Mk II "Geddy Lee"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Sep 5, 2003.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Here are some shots of my new (to me) Wal MkII "Geddy Lee" that I just got from the brown truck yesterday. It needed a little work (and still does...but I a fixing it up...nothing major).

It is taking me a while to get used to the controls, but I think I am catching on. The sounds are incredible with a lot of clairty and variety. This is my first real non-Fendery sounding bass so that is taking a while to get used to, but I like having something new and different.

:D :bassist:

-KB

edit: made the picture smaller

[​IMG]

2. Very nice! Would you reveal how much you payed? I'd love a Wal.

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I got it for a great deal: $1150 shipped to me!!

another shot:

[​IMG]

4. That's a hell of a price! Just a question, how's the low end? Geddy's Wal playing in the 80's sounded a bit thin and I've heard from various sources that it's a bit lacking in the bass department. What's it like? Any recordings?

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Lots of low end if EQ'ed right not muddy though
    My G&L (1982 mahogany..currently listed forsale here in classifieds) has more low end, but the wal has more clarity. The maple facings and ebony board do make it brighter than some other basses I have played, but I can also make it dubby sounding as well.

-KB

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I still have a steep learning curve on the controls so I don't know the full potential yet. I have heard some wal tone that has a little more low end, but I can make the low end on this one come through too. Plus for the price, i couldn't pass it up.

[​IMG]

7. Beautiful bass, and a killer deal! Give the EQ a little time, but you'll get the hang of it.

Yep, Geddy's '80s Wal tone wasn't as deep as it could be, but you've also got to remember that he was playing with .030-.090 gauge strings at the time. I also did that when I got my first Wal (gotta be like Geddy!), but after I started using a heavier gauge and heard how much more it filled things out, I never went back. The gloss finish/ebony board combo in particular seems to have deeper lows and more open highs than some other Wals.

Enjoy!
    Mike

8. The sound is in the wood. So I guess the Ebony board has a lot to do with it. But Ged's tone is far from bad, in fact I kinda like it. I'm sure your bass sounds great, I don't like too much low end either.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I put some TI powerbass strings on it and it has a nice full tone.

Hey Mike: any EQ advice and suggestions?

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hate you now :(

(i want a wal)

11. I abhor you for getting a Wal at a price that no one will ever see again :bawl: :bawl:

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Mmmmmmmmm Wal.....

Great score!

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
  14. One thing I always liked to do was dial in some really extreme or aggressive tone on one pickup (say, the bridge tone set to 6 and pulled for a boost), then pan to the other pickup set flat or with a little of the top end cut to smooth it out. Shoot me a PM if you want a more detailed explanation of how the EQ works, though.

Mike

15. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Mike's suggestion is really the best advice. The closest thing to a traditional "tone control" on a Wal is going to be the pickup blend.

A technical explanation of how the controls work can be found here: Wal control layout/function

I use TI Powerbass strings on my fretted Mach III 5er, which has a gloss poly finished, maple facings, and an ebony board as well and the bass is super boomy and well defined up and down the board (as opposed to say a shedua faced, rosewood board Wal which is growlier in the low mids but gets slightly compressed in the upper register).

What I like to do (this is especially fun on my fretless 5), is to take the neck pickup ("B" on the blend knob) and solo it with the filter down at around 1 or 2 and knob popped up (for boost), for some serious, booming dub tones and then set the neck pickup filter up higher (say 7-9 NOT popped up) and then slightly blend in some of the higher tones bridge pickup. Blend from "B" towards "BT", which is the center ("T" is the bridge pickup soloed). Pop up the volume knob for "pick attack" if you want to get even more aggressive. Experiment and have a blast! :bassist:

16. What an obscenely low price for an instrument in such high demand - an unbelievable deal. Congrats!!!

That's excellent advice above from both Mike and HS on the controls. I've had a few months to get familiar, and I'm still totally blown away by the preamp versatility.

I've seen a few posts mentioning the "6 and 8" or "8 and 6" settings, and they seem to work well with DR strings through Acmes. My "meat-'n-potatos" setting is 6 unboosted on the neck pickup and 8 on the bridge which I use either with or without boost. When the bridge pickup is unboosted and I'm balanced more towards the neck pup, pick attack works well. The same boosts etc. applied when using 8 on the neck pickup and 6 on the bridge are also great.

Whatever your settings, you'll be totally blown away by the monster tone and the amount of control that's right at your fingertips. Enjoy.

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've always wanted one of these basses. I almost bought one about 8 years ago at Sam Ash for about $2400 (marked down from $3200) but I didn't have the bread at the time.

You got a KILLER DEAL!!!!!

18. GRRRRR

No I got extreme GAS that won't be fixed, for at least 3 years

GRRRR:mad: !!!!

:bawl: :bassist:

19. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    How about the settings for the trim-pots in the pre-amp? I currently have the volume at a hair below max, the pick attack in the center and the two tone pots clockwise.

It also took me a while to figure out the blend knob with B, T and BT

-KB