My new baby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psychofool, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Psychofool

Dec 14, 2004
    Hi, ive recently joined the proud ranks of bassists (today) i have a left handed cort action bass WS clolour , and was just wondering what sting does it take (what gauge should it be), i have the factory strings on but i tryed to tune it but i think the batteries of my tuner are going flat cause i broke the bottom string [​IMG] , now i gotta raplace the strings asap, so please help 'cause im a complete [​IMG] , i wanna play any style , whatever you guys recomend. [​IMG] [​IMG] thanks for your help, i feel like suck an idiot :bawl:
  2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Congrats on your new bass. String gauges can be confusing at first; you just need a bit of instruction. Strings come in light gauges (smaller diameters) for those who play with a soft touch. These are also good for newbies because they are generally easier to fret (push down). A string set labeled .040, .060, .080. .100 means that from the G string (smallest) down to the E string (biggest) those numbers are the diameter in inches. Most players drop the zeros in conversation and refer to a set like this as 40-60-80-100. These are usually called "light gauge" strings. If these are too light for your style you can go to 45-65-85-105. There are many, many variations of these numbers. I would recommend Nickel roundwounds to start. These have a smoother, easier playing feel than stainless steel roundwounds. "Roundwounds" means the string core is wrapped with round wire. these are generally more popular than flatwounds (flat wire) which are smoother still but have a deep "thump" tone. There are lots of websites that will show you how to re-string the bass correctly. Put fresh batteries in your tuner. Style? Play any style of music that allows you to create. Use the "search" feature on this forum for any bass playing topic and you will find a wealth of information. Good luck! :)
  3. Psychofool

Dec 14, 2004
    Hi , thanks very much for your reply i found it very helpfull.