Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new baby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbone0813, Oct 16, 2005.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    After trying countless boutique basses I have finally mad my choise. Here is my new bass. It possesses the most effortless playability of any bass I have ever picked up. It is a Warrior Dran Michael Signature 5 string. I picked it up today at the Arlington Guitar Show. Check out the Cross & Sword inlay at the 12th fret. It doesn't get much better than that.

Specs:

Finish: Anointed Oil
    Top: Family Vault Burl Maple
    Middle: Purple Heart
    Back: Hand Carved Alder
    Neck: 3 Piece Flame Maple and Purpleheart
    Fretboard: Birdseye Maple
    Inlay: Custom Abalone Crusader Inlay
    Headstock: Matching Family Vault Burl Maple
    Tuners: Gold Warrior Keys
    Hardware: Gold with Warrior G-Factor Stringing System(tm) and Custom Wood Knobs
    Pickups: Bartolini MMX5
    Electronics: 18 Volt Active Preamp with Custom MidKit
    Case: Warrior Crocodile Plush Lined Hardshell

SCROLL DOWN FOR PICTURESS!!!!!!!!

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Very Nice!

Congrats on your new bass.
    I love that inlay, and really love that Croc Case.

Rob

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Thought it was a skjold for a second. Ive never heard a first hand account of how much those Warriors play. I see them going for thousands of dollars at auctions, but never a review. Would you care to do us the honors?

What is "Family Vault Burl Maple?" Sounds like someone's family has a secret stash of Burl Maple.

Anyways... how is it? Hows that whole MM-pickup-not-being-at-the-bridge thing working out? And hows that really thin bart soap?

Much luck with your new bass.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    No pics = No bass

5. There are pics. Are they not showing up for you?

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Pics aren't workin for me.

edit: copied the links and looked at em that way. Very nice, congrats. :D

7. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I don't know why they are not showing up. Possibly the server they are on is down????????? Here are a couple.

Attached Files:

8. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    A couple more.

Attached Files:

9. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Beautiful bass! I'm quite jealous.

BTW, take the plastic off those pups ASAP! :D

10. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Already done.

11. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    :smug:

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Though I'm not a boutique guy anymore, I like Warrior basses. And I like how the necks have that ridge. My friend Ivan Bodley plays Warriors. He recently got this purple 5-string with gold trim and LED's in the neck. I told him it's the Little Richard of basses. Way too much shiny stuff for my tastes but Ivan's not exactly a quiet guy onstage so the bass reflects his tastes.

13. Nice looking bass! Congrats.

14. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I'll do my best. The next is a wide neck with 19mm spacing. It has an assymetrical feel to it so it is unbelievably easy to work with. I have struggled with fatigue in my fretting hand for a while. Even though it's not gone this neck has greatly reduced the fatigue by allowing me to move smoothly & freely up & down the neck (I'm sure some of it is techinque). The frets are stainless steel gold plated. Durable & beautiful. I have played every fret, and there is not a dead spot anywhere. Not only that, but my technique isn't the greatest and this bass seems to be forgiving. At the same time I feel inspired to not force the bass to play, but to allow it to play. I know this sounds weird, but my playing has really become tighter. I had a lot of compliments from church members. Not about the bass, but how they felt I was progressing in my abilities. Maybe it's a spiritual thing. Anyway....I have a GK rig, and I have gotten this thing to sing in more ways than I ever thought imaginable. Everything from funk to a Jaco-esque tone that would make Jaco himself proud. I can dial in that Warwick growl, and everything in between. It is a well balanced bass that's not too heavy, but at the same time it has some weight to let you know that it means business. The B string will rival any bass in it's class. I played a Skjold, F Bass, Warwick, and a few other indie luthiers at the guitar show yesterday. I could not find anything that I liked more. Not saying that the other's weren't worthy. They just didn't put a smile on my face like the Warrior. The slapped tone is very sweet, and the string spacing allows a little aggresiveness without interference from the other strings. All though you slap happy experts probably don't have to worry about this kind of thing, it made me sound good when slapping octaves (which is the extent of my slapping right now). It is a perfect combination of wood, and electronics. All properly placed to create a tone that will fit in to any mix. If you can afford it you will not be dissapointed. I am thankful & blessed that God has provided a way for me to own an instrument of this caliber.

The "Family Vault" is a selection of woods that are in excess of 80 years old. Some Mahogony as much as 200+ years old. The grade of wood is usually exhibition grade. Top of the line.

I never thought I would own a bass with a pickup config like this one. Now I can't imagine owning anything else. It has amazing tone with the custom MidKit. I believe the Mid frequencies are 250, 500, & 1K. When you solo the Jazz pickup it's like Donna Lee in the flesh. It's produces a great jazz tone. Not too much of any one thing. Everything's just right.