My New band logo!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, May 12, 2005.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Hey, I created this logo for one of my bands while sitting in Spanish class after a test. After some tweaking and added effects on the computer, i think it came out pretty good.

tell me what you think...
  2. What's the band called? :confused:
  3. Well, the logo definitely does not make me think of "funk", or "slap", but it DOES make me think "1989". ;)
  4. Sorry, man, but if you don't know what the band is called already there's no way to tell by looking at the logo. Sometimes when you're designing a logo it can be pretty easy to lose sight of what you're working on and make something that looks "cool" but doesn't convey the most important info: what's the band called. If you're really into the design, i'd suggest getting rid of the background and just stick with the spray paint thing. And, sorry again, but it does seem a little dated to me.
  5. agreed with the above.

Although you guys know what your band is called, no one else seems to....

Thing about a logo is that it needs to just say your name. Doesn't need lots of weirdo fonts or "decoration". Save that for your album art.

Putting your logo on things like banners, t-shirts, posters etc will cost you a good amount of money - if it doesn't pay off by bringing more people to your shows / buying your cd's, then you have just wasted your money.

Remember, your logo is your first visual contact for lots of punters - if they see your name, and IMMEDIATELY associate it with the last time they saw you and had a good time, then the name and logo WORK!!
  6. (I'm just joking around here)

As is stands, if I saw that logo and didn't know who it was, I'd assume the band name was "Crumpled Sister...with wounds!".
  7. ROFL

umm, maybe they're called the "Cunning Stunts"....

:bag: someone had to go there.....
  8. FunkSlap, honestly, we're just jokin around...what does the logo stand for? You have my genuine interest.
  9. Yup, mine too.

Quick story to explain my earlier post.

I manage the financial side of the band - its what Im good at. So the deal is, 20% of all revenue my band makes goes into promotional budget. Rest goes to us as pocket money.

In the last year, with the 20% marketing budget, I have been able to buy a large banner, get glossy and professional posters and put a small amount of money into the marketing of our debut CD.

Without the budget (taken out of the band members pockets, remember) we would not now be in the position to be demanding 3 times the fee we were last year.

Getting ur name out is the key factor.

When people see your name in the local gig guide, it should make them think- "Yeah, lets go see them!".

Good management of your band's public image is essential. Crap band names are, frankly, a sign of a crap band.
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Please tell this to my guitar player. He is working on a logo now but is obsessed with your standard metal band pointy logo deal and keeps tossing out suggestions that are totally illegible.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No offense, but if I saw that logo on a CD or something, I would run from it as fast as I can. Is it a weird table?
  12. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I love drawing illegible band logos (have done several for no-name bands that haven't gone anywhere, hehehe) but unless you play black metal or maybe death or doom metal it is NOT smart marketing. Even then it shouldn't be generic and should be REALLY massively complex and illegible.
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    From all my days in art school and design classes, one thing always stands out as the best advice. Simplicity is the key to a good design.

Here is my project's logo my partner did up:

And a pic of me for reference lol

Not to hijack your thread or try and show ya up or anything at all like that, just using my own example to illustrate the point of simplicity that I at least think is fairly eye catching.
  14. Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Utah Kicks The Bucket?
  15. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Oh, LOL, I forgot all about that. The band's name is Colorblind Spectrum. Sorry about that. I haven't been on the past 24 hours. If you're interested, here's a site to some of our music. The quality is bad and our vocals suck, but at least its something...
  16. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually we do play black metal, but I still don't see how having no one be able to recognize our name is good marketing.

I was reading a flyer for MD death fest the other day and I think I could identify ONE band on the bill...out of almost 30. None of the had even remotely legible logos.
  17. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Yeah, but if your logo is well-designed and stands out it's somewhat recognizable and does help sell CDs and band shirts. So it's got marketing advantages to make up the disadvantage of being difficult to identify. And if you have a legible logo a lot of people will declare you untr00... don't know how concerned y'all are with that, though.

I did the track listings and liner notes for an entire album illegible-logo style once. Lots of work but fun. It was surprisingly easy convincing a label that they should spend money to print seven pages of absolutely no legible information.

One of my favorite band logos, Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis: