Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Band!! (very very very bass oriented)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Aug 31, 2004.

1. hi all.

i have decided to start something new. a jazz funk trio. but, theres no guitar, no piano, no sax, just two basses and a drummer.

yes thats right, i did say two bassists. here is the plan. a friend of mine who also plays bass plays a four string. i will be the other bass player (obviously) and i will be getting my conklin GT7 or GTBD7 in a couple weeks. my friend is quite good at holding down solid rythmic groove all fingerstyle, where as i am more of a melodic player, and with my new bass, i will be playing more of the higher register with alot of different techniques.

i have already been working on some melodies, however as of now i only have a schecter omen 5, and am lacking in the higher register, however that will be fixed in a couple of weeks. anyhoo, i plan on using alot of harmonics, chordial counter melodies, arpeggio based tapping lines, and a little bit of funk ish shreding lines.

i am really looking forward as to how this turns out. and am just wondering if any of you guys have done something along these lines, or have heard of any bands like this?

2. i was considering doing that with a band I'm working with right now (we do just crazy rock stuff) but rather than have a 7 stringer and a 4 stringer, we'd do a two 4 string method. one would use piccolo guages and one would use regular bass strings. a lot of speedpicking would be included in the writing session i imagine.

3. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    There's a band in Denver called Ainmatter that does this. Both bass players are great, doesn't really sound muddy at all...
    Some advice, when you start gigging, be firm with the sound guy...make sure the two of you don't sound muddy. There's probably very few sound guys that have run 2 basses, so it'll take some extra time during sound check to ensure it's a good mix.

4. Interesting concept... :bassist:

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nigel Tufnel would be proud.

6. just an update on the whole band thing. i got my new GT7, so we started jamming a couple weeks ago. i am really happy with the way it sounds.

7. There's no reason why it should work. The only thing is basses tend to have a different harmonic quality than guitars. Your high parts will sound bassier and rounder than the thinner and shorter scale guitar strings. Must make for a cool change of sound!

8. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    So, you're basically playing a very, very baritone guitar.

9. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Bloody right I am! (I'd better not post this, I might give away my true identity and be mobbed.) Oops, my hand slipped.

10. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Cool idea--it'll work. If you need inspiration, check out the Bass Extremes videos with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. Just two basses and a drummer. Cool stuff!

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1 Go for it! Sounds cool.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Guess we might find out whether or not you're safe from JT's wrath in *this* forum... :D ;)