Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Bass.....69 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpwinters, Sep 9, 2002.

1. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Picked this up from a friend of my Father. He bought it new back in 1969. He custom ordered it from Fender. The color is Grabber Blue, he ordered it from Fender in that color. It is not a standard Fender color. Since Dupont made the color, Fender was able to get it. It was the same color as his 69 Shelby Mustang. He ordered the Strat knobs on it also, and asked them not to put the bridge or pickup covers on it. The covers did come with the bass though. The pic makes it look in better condition than it is, it has age checking on it. I got the original receipt from the guy also.
    Take a look
    [​IMG]

The best thing is, I paid $750.00 for her.

2. Wow, that color looks great! Nice find!

3. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Wow! Cool, unique bass. I've never even heard of that color before. Be sure to keep the receipt!

The guy must have had good taste in basses and cars in the '69. (What was he thinking when he ordered the Strat knobs though? ;) ) Does he still have the Shelby Cobra too? :)

4. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    He seemed to like those knobs better. I can't figure out why. I'm gonna keep em though.
    Yea he still has the Shelby Mustang.

He sold the bass cause he did something to his left hand and is unable to play. He can still drive though.
    I was the first person he offered the bass to, because he and my dad are very good friends, and they served in the Navy together.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    so how much did you get her for? she looks pretty decent.. how does it sound?

6. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    Sounds Awesome. Paid $750.00 for her.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

WOW! He could have gotten a lot more than that for it. Congratulations. That is a very nice Jazz.