Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Bass....BG....Better late than never!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Oct 18, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Lakland USA Bob Glaub! This is my first P-Bass. I had never played a P-bass until last week--love at first thump! Two hours later, this one came along at the RIGHT price--no joke. And strangely enough, I've always tried to get a "P-bass" sound out of my basses. This one is a keeper. I've limited myself to 5 basses max. So far I have 3 keepers:

1. Ken Smith-5
    2. Lull MJ-4
    3. Lakland BG
    4. Warrior-4
    5. TBD
    [​IMG]

2. Sweet bass man.

I wish i had even one of the basses you have.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then Glaubs rock, alright. The funny thing I found comparing the USA to their Skyline counterparts...the Skylines had more mojo for me! :eek:

No denying that the USA is a darn fine instrument, but the Skyline did it for me. If I had the money, I woulda walked out the door with one.

Oh, yeah, and

FEEL THE POWER OF THE P!

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Boy, that thing sure is purty! I STILL haven't gotten my hands on a Lakland...I can't wait! What pups does the BG have? It's not the Fralins is it? (I'm too lazy to leave TB and go check Lakland's site, and it'll probably be quicker to have one of you answer. Damn dial-ups.)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Verty nice, congrats!!!!

6. What's your price? I'm curious!

7. What's the tone like? Traditional P-bass or more modern?

Jeff

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Fralin pups. Trad tone. It's a 9.5 out of 10 on my satisfaction scale. The -.5 is for the rosewood board. It takes some getting used to. Before this, it's been maple, ebony, or composite. The sound is awesome. Maybe that's the trade off. I sure wouldn't mind having a 4-string maple board Lakland. ;)

9. Thanks, JR. It looks like a great bass! Congrats!

Jeff

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    looks like a killer!

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Maybe it's common with P-basses, but the output on the Lakland BG is VERY hot [with no distortion]. I have to turn the input gain control on the amp down to "3". If I didn't know better, I'd think the bass was powered by 18vdc.

Maybe there IS power in the "P"!

12. Very Very Nice. Congrats Mon.

Mine is done, but Lakland didn't have the pick guard I wanted so I'm still waiting. Mine is the same as yours except will have white perloid PG and Flats installed. I also got an active body but no preamp. So, if I ever want to add I just have one popped in. Same with my Joe Osborn. That makes threee Lakies for me. I've got a 4-94 maple with barts too. :D

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    my Spalt/Totem MODINE has a SD P pickup.

i absolutely LOVE the tone of a quality single P pup.

all i play right now.

great lookin BG ya gots there!

f

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fantastic bass, man (grrr, sure wish there was a five string BG)