1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my new bass: Biarnel luthier "Akmé" custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Invisible, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Invisible

Invisible

Mar 3, 2008
    Italy
    hi, I'm new, I'm "invisible" from Italy
    I read your topics since two years but I've just registered and this is my first post here. usually I wrte on the italian forum "Megabass" (and apoligize for my bad english writing)
    I want to show you my new bass. I play in a band, DemetraSineDIe, and we've just released our first CD "Council from Kaos", MyKingdomMusic (italian indie label), Masterpiece Distribution. It's an alternative dark rock, a little bit of psichedelia. For next work I've decided to get a new bass. I usually play a G&L2500 with Mesa MPulse600 and powerhouse 2x10+1x15. I like very much my G&L but i wanted a richer sound bass, less compressed, more dinamic and with a different shape, because I don't like Fender style basses. So I decided to make it built by a young Italian luthier, Biarnel (www.biarnel.com/liuteria). Together we decided the look (it was really clear for me what I wanted) and the sound, from the G&L improving. this is the result, a really wonderful single-cut bolt-on 5 strings bass, lowz humbucking pickups. what do you think about? thanks!

Attached Files:

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Very cool original shape.

3. Invisible

Invisible

Mar 3, 2008
    Italy
    thanks, we've worked for it :) I'm very happy of the result

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Ciò è magnifico! Le congratulazioni su uno strumento così bello!!

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Beautiful, the nicest singlecut I've ever seen.

6. Biarnel

Biarnel

Sep 17, 2007
    Italy
    Luthier of Biarnel Liuteria, Italy
    Thank you for your appreciation.
    The bass turned out to be an interesting and well balanced shape, with plenty of growl and bark, but also rich in dark and mellow tones.
    I put several pics of the new Akmè in my website, to celebrate our new body shape.
    Feel free to ask questions :)

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    That is one of the most wonderfully executed single cut designs that I've seen. Very, very nice.

One small suggestion...with such a beautiful instrument, you may want to use something other than the cheap looking truss rod cover that you have on it. It really detracts from the basses elegance.

8. Biarnel

Biarnel

Sep 17, 2007
    Italy
    To be honest, I carved a truss rod cover out of maple, and then the black acrylic one you see in the pics.
    Well, the black one looked way better: a nice striking contrast with the headstock, reminding the black body.
    I think it's just a matter of personal taste :)

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I agree with the other guys, like the design.

10. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dye the maple black...;)

Such a small thing really. The bass looks wonderful.

12. Obet922

Obet922

Jan 7, 2007
    Philippines
    That's just gorgeous! I'm not a fan of single cuts but I WANT this one :D does it come in a six string version? :D

13. Invisible

Invisible

Mar 3, 2008
    Italy
    good idea! truss rod cover in maple transparent black like the body! next time, Biarnel, I want it ! :p

14. Welcome to talkbass. Very nice design and nice to hear of a luither a bit closer to home who by the look of things does excellent work.

15. Biarnel

Biarnel

Sep 17, 2007
    Italy
    Of course it does! :D
    Akmè model (like all the other biarnel basses) can be tailored at your needs: 4, 5, 6 strings - even more if dare - and your choice of woods & hardware.