Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new bass from Warmoth (lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jja412, May 16, 2005.

1. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Okay, so I finally got my body and neck from Warmoth this past Thursday. Did most of the drilling, electronics, and assembly this weekend. Didn't have the camera until today, though. So no complete in progress pics... :(

But I did have to remove the finish off the frets, so the neck needed to come off. When Warmoth sends out a finished maple neck, there is still a clear coat of poly on the frets, so I taped in between the frets and got out the steel wool. I used #0 steel wool to remove the clear coat, and #0000 to shine/smooth the fret after removal. I'm exactly halfway done, and decided to take a rest, snap some photos, and start a thread.

First, the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks a lot better than I thought it would... the blue is a lot darker than the website picture suggested. I was told Warmoth only offered three holes for the controls, so I drilled my own. I also drilled for the bridge, because I hadn't decided which bridge to use when I ordered (I went with an ABM.) I used a 3/8" Forstner bit to drill for the controls, and it worked great. I was nervous, because I had some problems with the finish chipping on past projects. The bridge was very straightforward. Just measured out the scale length, made that the center of the saddles adjustability, and then centered it on the body horizontally. Then drilled the holes and zipped in the screws.

The electronics:
    [​IMG]
    The electronics cavity/knob layout was a bit of a chore. Because of the carved top, I didn't want to use a template on the top for component placement. So, first I painted the cavity with sheilding paint. Then I made a template of my knobs out of cardboard, and transferred my holes to the cavity. I drilled with a 1/16" bit through to the top, so I knew where to drill with the Forstner bit. Then drilled the actual holes from the top in. I installed a OBP-3 preamp to go with the Nordstrand NJ4SV's I purchased. I attached the pre module and battery clips with Super Velcro (available at Home Depot/Lowes).I still need to clean up my wiring with more zip ties and put some sheilding tape on the cover, that comes later today.

The Neck:
    I ordered a neck with the Warmoth tiltback 2+2 headstock, as per the opinions of the TB faithful in this thread:
    Photoshop my Warmoth thread:
    I have no full pics yet, because it is being worked on. Here's some pics of my taping job:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The untaped area is the region already done. Only 10 more frets to go!!
    I had the headstock painted to match the body, which is what took so long, as the body was painted long before.
    [​IMG]
    The tuners are from Carvins website, the standard Gotoh GB7s.
    I attached the neck with some inserts I acquired from TB's own Hambone (thanks Allan). The were very heavy duty and worked great. Just drilled a 3/8" hole in the neck at the corresponding points to the neck pocket, and threaded in the inserts with a hex key.
    [​IMG]

So, I just have to finish the fret dressing, intonate, and clean up/sheild the electronics cavity, and it will be done. I'll have more pics to follow. :hyper:

2. It looks like that will be a very tasty bass! The deep blue and birdseye maple look great. I'm a big fan of natural wood, but this looks superb. Congrats on a great bass!

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That's what PRS basses SHOULD look like.

W

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That is stunning. Good job and great choices. I bet that thing is going to be a monster when it's done. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

5. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Thanks!! BTW, Congrats on the new little one!!

6. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Absolutely beautiful!
    Gets me Jonesin' for a Warmoth project!

Jon

7. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    love the finish...cant wait to see it when its complete :-D

8. That is a sweet looking bass man!

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Dang.. nice score.

Warmoth finishes are soooo nice.

I've been gassing for one of their deluxe 5's with the "51" body and "51" pickguard. I've been on a quest to find / build / buy / modify a 5 string that will feel and sound 95% or more just like my old beat up `71 p-bass. Warmoth might be my next attempt at putting this gas to rest.

Yeah, I know, I build basses, but right now I'm only doing neck throughs and it would be cheaper and easier to buy one from someone like Warmoth than to build one from scratch for myself.... especially as it takes time away from customers orders which is a baaaadddd thing.

10. Two truss-rod access port thingys...
    I like man! awesome colour and shape :bassist:

11. Very nice, it will be a very powerful 4 strings!
    "Félicitations!!!" ;)

Vince

12. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Good eye!! The body already had the truss rod access route, and the neck I bought comes with the top access truss rod.

13. Gotcha. Looks stunning all the same :) I wanna do a warmoth sometime.

14. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Finished dressing the frets - here's some pics of the birdseye neck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You sure do know how to pick them out!, whats the body wood?.I cant wait to see finished pics. :hyper: :bassist:

16. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Ash. This one I bought as soon as it showed up on the Showcase. I had been waiting patiently for a nice one w/ the option of jazz pickups. When I checked the site and saw it, I picked up the phone.

17. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's GORGEOUS bro...

18. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    That really looks sweet! I just picked up a carved Dinky P also, and since I don't have a workshop, I'm getting ready to send mine in for final assembly. That is exactly the control layout I'm looking for too (with 2 additional DPDT switches).

Well done!

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh yes love at first sight :D :bassist: