My new bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stross, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Stross

Mar 29, 2002
    I am considering taking up the bass guitar, can anyone please help me by telling me anything about them, like what kind to buy, how much to spend, buy a 1st, 2nd, 3rd... hand one? Please help!
    Thanks 4 any help,
    The Dude, :cool:
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just starting huh?

A good place to start IMO would be with one of those Squier or Yamaha packages where you get a beginner's bass, a practice amp, a strap, a cord, and a gig bag all together. Some (or all) of the stuff you'll eventually replace, but it's a good way to start IMO. As with everything you'll get a lot more "bang for your buck" with used gear than new. If you are not afraid of used gear, starting with used stuff is a great way to go.

Also, take some lessons. Just a few lessons on basic technique will really go a long way. More lessons can make you a good player.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Read the article, "The Disease...How to Buy the Right Bass" at this link
    (The author is one of the world's top bassists).

Then consider buying a used bass. The cosmetics won't be as good as a new instrument, but you can put more of your money into the sound and the playability. Always try as many as you can through an amp to find the one that seems to have a balance of playing ease and a sound you like.

As for what to spend......shoot, whatever your budget can handle! IMO, those starter packages are sucker deals for people who;

- just didn't know any better and got talked into a bad value by the salesperson,
    - had neither the time nor the inclination to buy the bass, amp, strap, and cable individually. All they wanted was convenience.

Obviously, those package deals are for the customer who is just starting out and usually knows very little about the equipment. In other words, the customer who is "easy prey."

If we knew what kind of money you have to spend, there are a lot of people who can give you suggestions here. But, YOU, your ears, and your fingers should make the final decisions.
  4. hey stross
    welcome to Talkbass!
    i agree with what was said above, starter kits are great for beginners (hartke do a good starter kit) , but i also agree that 2nd hand is probly the way to go, especially if u don't know if u wanna stick with it!
    wherebouts in england r u?
    i'll give ya lessons :p

5. My recommendations:
    1) Ask for help at Talkbass. Hey, you already did that - Good!
    2) Buy the best bass you can for the $. BTW, what's your budget?
    3) If possible go to a shop with someone who has even a little knowledge about basses; if not, go by yourself.
    4) Try not to be in too much of a hurry; the longer you take to look, the happier you'll probably be in the long run.
    5) Come back and ask as many questions as you want, no one here is going to get annoyed with you. :)
    6) I know you're in England, but, just to get an idea of what's out there, go to this site: Go through the whole site and see what interests you. Unfortunately, these guys don't ship outside the U.S., but, they have a ton of stuff, and you can get an idea of the prices you'll be dealing with.

Good luck, and welcome to Talkbass, Stross.
    Mike J.
  6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Where was it that I read that TalkBass only has a bunch of uptight members? :rolleyes: That was a nice welcome for Stross with a lot of good information. It' that...make be a member!

:sniff, sniff. ebozzz, drying his eyes now: :D
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Welcome aboard. Maybe you should go the the Gear For Sale pages here on TalkBass and get a feel for what used basses are going for how much. There are so many knowledgeable people here that you'll find a decent selection of basses at reasonable prices.

Identify the ones that interest you and check various review sites to get a feel for how people rate them. Better yet, just ask here how specific basses you have an interest in are perceived.

As a beginner, it would be hard for you to go wrong with just about anything that has Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez, MTD, or Warwick on it. There are no doubt other brands you can look at, too, but all of the ones I've listed have quality products at reasonable prices and can also be found fairly easily on the used market. You may have the opportunity to play some of them new in a store, then find them for 40 - 50% less on the used market.

James Martin
  8. While the Squier and Yamaha packages are good ways to go, there are better ways about it.

In no more than 6 months, you'll need to upgrade both the amp and the bass itself, and you probably will get different cables or straps in that time too.

If your budget allows, I'd go for a Fender Standard P-Bass and an amp thats between 30 and 70 watts. These will do fine to learn on, and even though you're paying more to start off with (about 600-700 instead of 300), you'll pay less when those 6 months are up and that 300 becomes 300 + 600.

(edit because I suck at the grammar)
  9. Spasmolytic

Mar 27, 2002
    I just bought my first bass. It's a Spector NS2002B. My amp is a Laney Hardcore HCM30B.

I paid 711 total. I got the guitar, amp, gig bag, cord, and a little video thing. I'm really happy with it all. All the equipment is brand spankin' new, and it's the most fun I've had in a while.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree with JoeRules00. Get a mim Fender or a used American one. I just played a mim Jazz yesterday and it's an excellent bass for the money. If you get a mim and later decide you want a more expensive instrument, with the mim you will have a good backup that can be very easily upgraded.
  11. Hey Stross,

I was exactly where you are at about 16 months ago.I stumbled onto talkbass and just kind of hung out for a month or so before I made the decision to go out and actually buy my bass package.

Most everything I know about the instrument I have learned from the good people who haunt this site.:D I suggest you hook up with an instructor if your cashflow and/or schedule permit.You will progress faster.

At any rate welcome to tb! :)
  12. Stross

Mar 29, 2002
    Thank you so much everybody for all of your help, I have a budget of about 4-500 £'s so I don't think I can get the £700 deal, although it sounds good.
    I checked out the sites, they are great, and I have found what I think I want.:) So I am out to the high street to check out the stores.
    Just one more question, how much should I spend on an amp with my budget, more or less than the guitar?
    Thanks again for all your help!
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Remember you also need a strap, a cord, a tuner, and a stand. That's going to run about £50 put together (guessing). Personally I would split the remainder between the amp and the bass. The Fender Made In Mexico Precision Bass is a great bass to start on.
  14. Mr. PhilBiker is giving you good advice bro.I started out on an Ibanez but wish I would have spent the little more and gotten the MIM Fender P.Even the Squire is not bad.Like he says you will need cord,tuner,stand,etc. Just try before you buy! :)
  15. Hi Stross - welcome to Talkbass!!!!

Here's a couple of links for you :-

These will give you an idea of prices and what basses look like. Best thing is to go and try the basses in person - I never like to buy stuff mail order (I've had problems with things before), but sometimes it might be worth it.

BTW, the Fender stuff on Sound Control's website is all MIM (Made In Mexico). By the looks of it, your budget could stretch to a MIM Precision or Jazz and a smallish practice amp - 30W or so. A little more dosh and one of the Ashdown combos could be affordable. Also, it might be worth trying to get as much as you can in one shop - they might throw in a gig bag, lead, stand for nothing if you're taking a bass and an amp!

Happy hunting - and remember, haggle!!!! Salesmen hate seeing cash walk out through the door! :D