My new bass - Harley Benton HBB600TBK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ob1, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Hi! I just got my new bass (mailorder) from and I thought I'd put down a few words about it.

First off, it's CHEAP. 211€ isn't supposed to buy a great instrument, but I was aware of this and prepared for the worst (hey, it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee).

Finsh - a bit uneven staining underneath the clearcoat but nothing that bothers me (mostly on the back too)

Parts - The nut, control cavity lid and truss-rod cover look like they were made using chainsaws, lots of small plastic scraps hanging off them, but once I cleaned them off the seem to be alright.

The tuners are cheat gotoh-imitations, one even has a (really)sharp edge on the head. The Bridge looks and feels alright, enough adjustment left in both directions.

The knobs are a bit rough, and the pots are heavy, but noise-free.

Wood - Looks alright, screams chinese CNC-goods, but the edges are neat enough, and seem to fit well. Ash body anh presumeably maple neck, with a rosewood fretboard.

Playability - The first thing I noticed was that it is quite light, I don't have any scales but the whole package including 2 sets of strings and lots of foam and cardbord wieghed in at 8.3 kg. The neck is rather thin, but broad and the fretboard is -very- flat (I like it). The action was O.K., but I think I'll raise the strings a little bit someday.

Sound - This is what surprised me most! It totally beats my J-Copy (wich I have been told sounds like a Fender J), and the active controls do what theyre supposed to. No noise, that I've noticed so far.

I haven't got any pictures yet, but check out the Thomann product page here

The 360 degree zoomviewer is quite nice.
  2. Thought I'd add that there are 3 different companies marketing what looks like the same bass, but with different hardware and with maple tops, Zerberus Guitars and Johnson. The Zerberus costs around 300e more, and the Johnson around 200 more. And I don't see the need for gold hardware and sharkfin inlays on wat would still be considered a cheap bass.

Btw the pickups are EMG DC45-size, I might swap them out for those or maybe EMG HZ's later on...