Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Bass! (Ibanez ATK)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yep, i tasted the "Dark Side" as Allodox says and i loved it!

I searched some music stores in Phoenix with no luck on 5 string basses till i reached "Metro Music Store" (Great service, nice salesmen) and saw this hyped bass...

plugged it in and it was "love at first note", i had some other options for my limited budget but this bass blew them off away.

it needed a little set up (which i did when i got home) and the B string is tight and gorgeous. I was worried about switching from 4 strings to 5 and tis bass in particular was so comfortable that in just a few hours playing it i was playing like i normally do.

onto the pictures: (Fetch Da Bass has this same bass :) )

[​IMG]
    Front

[​IMG]
    Back

[​IMG]
    Ibanez 0wnz me!

a MUST try for all you seeking an affordable 5 string!

-Dave

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    'Grats!

Now, yank the frets outta it and install custom pickguard! That's what my Kingston's going through at the moment..

3. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    How close do those things sound to an MM? Or do they have a sound all thier own? I'm really starting to like the look of them....

4. Im falling in love with Ibanez ATK series now... but ATKs and EDAs are only available on request at the local Ibanez dealer :mad: !!

WHY ALL MY G.A.S. ITEMS ARE UNAVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY?!?!?! :mad: I prefer spend my money in Argentina!

Life is not fair!!

EBP

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It'll compliment the BTB well, me thinks.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yep, they do have different sounds but i have to do something with the BTB:

A)Defret it
    B)Sell it

im in no hurry about selling it, but if i defret it i might decrease its value...

if i find myself more inclined to defret it (as planned earlier some months ago).

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    sorry to hear that dude... i also suffer from that.

the only solution for me is to go to USA and get the bass... there are some nice stores on other larger Mexican cities but basses like this ATK could go as far as $800 dollars or more! (Yamaha TRB series are about 1700-1900 dls!! here in my town!)

of course im just some miles away from USA and youll probably end up paying more money on planes and taxes than the bass itself! :/

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    the "Do they sound like MM?" question has been debated before...

it does sound Kinda like the MM (Come on, MM are beautiful, hard to emulate sound) BUT it also has more tonal options, which i really like.

9. Dave SWEEEEEEEEEET taaah!!! The ATK 305 was my first 5er, I still am having trouble ajusting... I love this bass, But I only have one complaint. When playing the G string it tends to fall off the fingerboard when I do any kind of vibroto.

Billy,, It can do a MM stingray sound + way more...but it really has it's own sound(s) / tone . It's a very clear and defind voice. All of my other basses sound muffled compared it and I do have a MM stingray to compare it with... I would describe the sound as TripleLarge and Clean!

here's a picture of my ATK Guard Dog ,,,,,,,,Sorry Mom I forgot to make the bed:)

10. spend two months with the ATK before you do anything to the BTB. just my advice, take it as you will.

it looks very nice.

11. Dave, how heavy is the ATK? Thanx in advance.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    very heavy... not that much really but it can classify as a HEAVY BASS...

but i dont have that much trouble playing it standing up (I do have problems sitting down... it hurts my leg! :eek: )

one of the (few) cons of this bass...

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I will never play another bass, these things are ogd like. i want 50 of them.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well i haven't noticed something like that... i dont play the G string too much anyways (with the band) but i do use it a lot on chordal stuff... no complains yet...

BTW: that pic with the dog is great! :)

DHC:thanks for your advice, ill wait (as i said, im in no hurry for money right now and defreting would be somewhat dangerous for me to do and ill research for a luthier near me) Thanks!

15. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    hey nice bass dave how does it sound though ive been the market for a new bass and the atk has caught my eye. and also looks like you need some more grass in your yard inthe second pic :p

16. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I envey you, soooooooo much.

Ibanez Owns my soul. I know alot of you dont like Ibanez, but I personaly love them. Hence the name.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The ATK is one of the best basses Ibanez ever made. Wouldn't mind owning one myself. I think that you will find that most people only dislike the Soundgears and the Ergodynes.

18. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL

True, I dont like the SGR's myself, THOUGH i do admit, as a begining bass, they arent half shaby.

The BTB series are beutifull though, and once I get enough money, im going to buy an ATK.

19. Dave sorry for jumping your train...but I would rate the ATK as not to heavy. I have 2 70's Fenders that weigh way more than the ATK and its slightly lighter than my MM Stingray but heavier than a MIM Fender.

Dave, What does AllodoX mean by the "Darker Side"?
    I'll go away now!!!!!:)

20. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    really... well, maybe its my inexperience with other basses... i had a Fender Jazz (standard) that was heavy but IMO not as much as this one... *i think*

but dont mind me... you have obviously tried and owned more basses than i do :)

BTW: Allodox also has a ATK 305 and i read on some earlier ATK apreciation thread that he used the term "Dark side"... as he always do for everything :D... but i might be imaginating things