Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new bass is here (pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaye, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Well after a 10 week wait my new Carvin has arrived. :bassist:

http://photos.yahoo.com/linktth

It is probably the punchiest most in your face tone I have heard out of any bass I have owned (Including my Pedullas and an SR5) and I couldn't be happier with it.

The tone is very "Stingray on drugs" for lack of a better way of describing it, I ordered it mostly maple to get that extra punch and attack out of it that Spectors seem to capture so well and it wound up giving me exactly what I had hoped for.

Here are the complete specs:
    XB75P
    Abalone Dots
    Birdseye Fingerboard
    Wide Asymetrical Neck
    5pc Maple/Walnut Neck
    No Show Neck
    Flamed Maple Headstock overlay
    Deep Green Stain over Flame
    Tung Oiled Back of Neck
    Maple Body Sides
    Piezo Bridge
    Single HB2 Humbucker
    Black Hardware
    Straplocks
    Engraved truss Rod Cover "JAYE"

All in all I am in love, I will get to give it its first real test at rehearsal tonight but she seems to be a keeper. :D

2. nice!

I hope you don't mind but I ordered a few prints.

3. It looks really nice. So is "stingray on drugs" a good thing? I've heard some people compare the Carvin HB2 option to a "Stingray without the balls." And I notice that there is no neck pickup? Is carvin offering that as a standard option now?

4. The bass is nice. ;) But the sofa. :D

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  6. yamahaplayer

yamahaplayer

Oct 22, 2004
    Truely an amazing bass! Congrats and I hope you enjoy playing it. I was considering getting one almost just like it. If you don't mind could you tell me how much you gave for it?

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I was wondering the same thing. I didn't think Carvin offered a single-pup bass as an option. Still, that is a sweet looking baby.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    While carvin bodies have enver really done anything for me as far as the shape, I must say that it looks quite stunning. I really like that deep green- beautiful

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Carvins are nice basses. Congratulations. :hyper:

10. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    As far as the "stingray without balls" comparison I don't hear that at all, I actually much prefer this to any SR that I have played, alot of that may be due to the all maple construction and longer scale length though, who knows, but I am happy.

The single pickup is in fact NOT an option that is standard with Carvin and this is only the second bass they have ever done with only one HB2. Not to say they won't do more, or make it a standard option in the future but as of now you would have to beg and plead for it.

Price wise lets just say it was over $1500 and under 2k, money well spent in my book since as I said it is one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard. Fit and finish are flawless, it plays like a dream, and the tone of maple, oh sweet mary the tone of maple.

I did wind up getting several options that added extra money to the price though since they are not "standard" offers. The single HB2, the birdseye board on a wide-necked 5, the color are all upcharges above and beyond what the normal options would have cost. If you wanted it to sound similar enough but not look quite as pretty (IMO) then you could get it for under $1100.

11. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    That bass is steaming hot, i like the MM pickup lol, congrats.

12. Thats one hot as bass!
    Thanks
    Troy

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You chose wisely with respect to the color and fingerboard wood. Congrats.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Carvins haven't really done much for me in the past, but I really like the look of this one. Nice green trans finish and light birds-eye.. Nice combo.

How are the 18v pre's that Carvin offers? Due they offer non-Carvin pres to be installed?

How's the weight/balance?

15. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    The pre isn't a true 18v to the best of my knowledge. The way I understand it is that it is a 9v pre and an additional 9v to run the piezos.

Carvin dosen't offer aftermarket pres or pickups which is an oft debated subject over at the Carvin forums, that being said the pickup is a standard size so one could easily drop in say a Bartolini 72MM pickup and the control cavety has plenty of room for most pres.

Being all maple the bass is pretty hefty, probably a good 3-4lbs heavier than my Carvin with an Alder body but still not overly weighty. If you can deal with the weight of a Spector 5 then this should be fine as well. The bass balances well both sitting and standing, the BB body style suposedly balances ever better due to the longer upper horn but I have no problems with this body style.

16. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Great bass and nice color. Congrats.