Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new bass (made by Shane Kanady)!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FLOYDtheBARBER, Mar 25, 2004.

1. hey folks; i haven't been around in a while; but i just got my bass from Shane Kanady this week, and i have to show you guys this baby!

four string fretted
    32" scale
    walnut/cedar/walnut body
    maple/walnut/maple neck, ebony board
    bartolini pickups w/ passive electronics
    ziricote bridge

the action is really nice and low, and the shorter scale definitely helps maneuverability; i can fly all over this bass' neck like on no other instrument. it's impossible to not tear up whatever i'm playing. the notes jump out effortlessly; i can play longer on this bass than on my others.

the craftmanship is incredible! the scrolls are well sculpted and the body-cutaway is really nice. the neck is sturdy and solid; it feels indestructible! balance is perfect, and it's fairly lightweight. shane used the walnut from the back piece to make the covity cover; he even put a flame-maple accent all around the edge of the cover; it looks fantastic!

it sounds like what i hear in my head when i think 'ideal sound." just the right amount of punch, sustain like crazy, and plently of bottom end without being too boomy. sounds tight all around. i feel like a crook for getting this bass at such a great price; shane is the man. check out his newly-created yahoo group: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SKBasses/

i have to go play my bass more; it's so good it's addicting!
    peace

2. Quite Unique...

I find it suprisingly atractive.

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    ya ive talked to shane many a time a the ct bass site, say some picks of his very first basses with the crazy old head stock. there looking good man.

congrats

4. speck

speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    Looks very organic (in a good way), it's as much a sculpture as it is a bass. Does it have narrow string spacing (< 19mm) as well?

Speck

5. Thanks for the very kind words, Chris! :)
    I'm glad you like the bass as much as I hoped you would.

6. about the flamed maple binding around the cover- i actually had my friend, mark lucero, do the binding as he is extremely talented with inlays.

7. Woah. That's purdy cool. :cool: :bassist:

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    This bass is really...uuuhhhh.......diferent......I kinda like it......enjoy.

9. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Very Carl Thompson but still cool

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Sweeeeeeeeet :)

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a really unique looking bass. Looks great! I would question the intonation though...

12. hey, thanks for all the comments guys!
    the spacing is 19 mm.

i've been away from TB for ages... good to see ya, smash. :cool:

13. shes a beaut. reminds me of CT, but with a weird edge to it. and i gotta say, i love the elephant on the headstock, looks very sweet.