Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new bass mini-review...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    As many of you know, I just recently purchased an American Fender Deluxe Jazz off of eBay. You asked for a review once I got it, and here it is:

This bass arrived in flawless, like-new condition. The plastic is still on the pickguard and I could still smell that newness when opening the case. The hardware on the bass looks superior in quality then to that of my American Series Jazz. The tuners are better, the abalone inlays look sweet with the tint of teal, and the wood grain looks fantastic with the ash body. I don't know if I'll take advantage of the two extra frets, but they are there if I decide to run that high up the neck.

The sound was simply stunning. I was able to pull out most of the tones I was looking for in this bass. However, I don't believe I will sell the passive American Series Jazz for one reason--I love the warm tones I get from that bass that I can't seem to get out of the deluxe. I thought, at first, that they'd be very similar in sound, but they are incredibly different. Not only does the deluxe consist of an ash body whereas the passive consists of an alder body, but the deluxe sports active electronics. I'm able to dial-in a nice slap-pop tone without any problems. The action was setup very nicely and the neck seems to be adjusted just right with a perfect truss rod positioning.

The smaller body really looks sleek. I like the bodies of both basses, but this one just seems a little bit more modern. I am really happy with this bass even though I paid a whopping 975.00 for it used.

In summary, this bass is great if you're looking for something more than what the passive American Series Jazz offers, but also keep in mind that it shouldn't be used as a replacement. It is everything I was looking for in a Fender with active electronics and more. I really think the extras are a nice touch as well.

So there ya go... My little mini-review of my new Fender American Deluxe teal jazz.

Attached Files:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a beautiful bass, enjoy it.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Really nice bass, good luck with it :cool:

4. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I love the color on that. Nice buy!

5. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    welcome to the MIA JJ deluxe family :cool:

6. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Nice bass! Is that a 96? I think I have one just like it, but in blue not teal green. I love that color you got.
    here's mine.

Attached Files:

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    heres mine .........its in aged cherry nurst and they did a fabulous job with the color gradation (looks way better in person)

Attached Files:

8. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I believe mine is a 2002. The guy selling it had no idea what year it was from, or what kind of voltage, the 9 or 18, it had. Luckily, he had a closeup of the headstock posted, so I went to Fender and used their dating document to find the year.

9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    n or z should denote the year....
    n8=98
    z2=2002